Air temp sensor mounting

rob86gn

Anyone mount there air temp sensor in the up pipe to the throttle body? What was the results? Better to mount by the filter or after the turbo?

It's better to mount it by the MAF. The stock MAF is by design sensitive to temperature, and the more extreme the temp, the more flawed the reading. The temp sensor is used by the ECM to compensate MAF for extreme temps. If you put it in the up-pipe it will apply the wrong compensation factor to the MAF reading. Of course, we're not talking huge differences in adjustments.

Thanks for the info. I think I"ll leave it by the air filter or MAF.

How did you make your own ram air? I am trying to make a cold air system with semi-rigid flexible aluminum HVAC hose. I'd rather have something like the MAF hose to work with. Know where I could get somthing like that?

It's very cheesy. I really wanted something that looked stock - black plastic, but on a budget. Here's my setup, going from the MAF forward:

I used a piece of black flex tube that I robbed off of an air cooled VW - it's a heater hose that's > 3" ID. It had insulation inside that I ripped out. I bought 2 sewer clamps at the home depot - they are about 3 inches long rubber with 2 claps, one for each end of the VW hose. Behind the headlight is a piece of black 3" PVC elbow (goes thru core support), with a short piece of pipe that connects to the other end of the VW hose. On the bottom of the elbow is the K&N.

I don't showcase the underhood stuff - mainly function. The VW hose looks good and is greater ID than my MAF and MAF hose. One day I may replace it with a pipe, but it's not high on my list.