Air Pump Question

cooper

I may already have this figured out, but I'd like to see what others think.

I've got a 4.1 intake and a CCC Q-jet for my 81 na regal. I'm pretty sure that I have to use the air pump. I figure without the pump injecting air, the computer will get false readings from the sensors (like the O2) and then it will always be trying to have the carb adjust the mixture.

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks

I would think that you are right about that, Your air is injected in to your manifolds, before the 02.

What Kind of A.I.R. system do you have? There are two.
One, (the one I have on my '81 N/A), pumps the air into the back of the intake manifold. The other I think feeds air thru small tubes attached to the exhaust manifold.....

....to be continued....

Mine pumps air into the back of the intake manifold. I am familier with the style that injects air into the exhaust manifolds, but not this kind.

There is a third type and this is the one that pumps air into the catalytic converter. I know your '81 and mine are not like that.

I think the way our A.I.R. system works is primarily during cold engine operation.

The air pump has a selonoid and a diverter valve on it. The air pump selonoid is activated by the ECM during cold start-up.

It cues the diverter valve to allow pumped air into the rear of the intake manifold. At that given point, the pumped air is allowed into the internal exhaust ports in the cylinder heads.

This only happens during cold start up or deceleration at high speeds and only in short durations. The purpose is only for emissions control.

Thus, the A.I.R. system on our '81's should'nt have anything to do with the carb mixture. :D