Air Conditioner Compressor

jburnsinnj

I want to replace my not working 1987 G/N's A/C compressor which is the original and blows hot air only, it has never been converted to R134 refrigerant and I cannot find R-12 here in N.J. Can my original be converted to R- 134 by a local shop ?

Does anyone know the difference between the two compressors shown on the A/C Delco parts page here :

http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Yes. I did mine myself, should be real easy for a shop. I just bought a compressor from nos4gn. It is an original delco compressor and actually cost less than what they were selling at the auto store. Works good so far.

I paid to have it converted to 134 - $750. If you have gauges, vac pump, etc. I'd say you could do it yourself. But most stores give 90 day warranties, so if the compressor goes out your on the line for paying $130 for a evac/recharge. My guys gave me a 12 month warranty and by the time I added up all the parts and the evac/recharge, it cost me about $150 more to have them do it. Still running good two years later.

Replace the compressor, reciever drier, orifice tube, and flush the entire system before you try and charge anything up. Since you haven't stated whether the system was working when you got it this is the safest way to do it. If you're not able to do the work yourself see if there's a MAGNA member near you that can help. If not get refferences for the shop you decide to take it to.

Just curious, I heard that you can/should use an AC orifice from a '95 Ford F150 (V8). What's the benefit?

Replace the compressor, reciever drier, orifice tube, and flush the entire system before you try and charge anything up. Since you haven't stated whether the system was working when you got it this is the safest way to do it. If you're not able to do the work yourself see if there's a MAGNA member near you that can help. If not get refferences for the shop you decide to take it to.
+1 I did this when my compressor died and put in R134. Ran 5 years better than when I had R12.

I recharged mine with 12a refrigerant last year. Has a small leak that needs a can every year or so. Ran out of R12 a few years back & was tired of not having ac working. Worked great last year & is still blowing cold this year. Bought it on amazon.

I have a compressor on the shelf if u need one . I'll let it go for cheap . Pm me if interested

My compressor is starting to make noise now :( I guess its time to change that out. I've been 134A for many years.

I ordered everything from Highway Stars today. Just wish I could expedite that shipping and get it here Amazon Prime quick, lol. It's freaking hot down here in AL.

I ordered everything from Highway Stars today. Just wish I could expedite that shipping and get it here Amazon Prime quick, lol. It's freaking hot down here in AL.

I know the feeling it is starting to heat up here in Texas!

$239 for the Compressor not a bad price at all. Gota break down and buy one.

I have mine that I took out that worked great . If anyone needs one I'll do it for 130 shipped

Whatever stock stuff was . Like I said it was working excellent when I took it out just went a race car direction with it .

That would be R12.
I changed to 134A almost 20 yrs ago and changed everything including the compressor.
Don't really know how true it is but I didn't want to change to 134A using the same comp, dryer etc. Always heard it would cause premature failure of the ac system?
Maybe a AC tech could chime in?