Air compressor pros???

BigChinooks

I need a good air compressor for running a die grinder/cut off tool etc.
I had a small 5hp peak hp unit and it would not operate the cut off tool at all (30 seconds and it was done).
It worked with the die grinder but was always on,and i got tired of all the noise and brought it back and got a refund.
I would like a quiet unit with plenty of power to run various air tools.
Any recommendations?
For what its worth i had a 5hp Campbell Hausfeld (20 gallon)before and have been looking at a vt 6314 from Campbell and a Ingersoll rand #ss3l3.(both 60 gallon).

Also i plan on installing it in my basement,so i want as quiet as possible.

Thanks in advance!:)

Running those type of tools requires a large amount of air. A 60 gallon tank will help, but it is still going to be running quite a bit.

Look into the Puma's I have one and it's awesome. Cummins tools sells them with different stickers on them for a good price. Whatever you buy stay away from alunimum compressors, and remember that the slower it runs the quiter it will be. Go by CFM ratings and not HP ratings as the cheaper ones list peak HP numbers and the more expensive models list running HP numbers.

Here is the one I have on the right, the one on the left would be nice too, and this is the chepest I've found them

Hope this helps

Doug J

The pump or compressor, AL is cheap and won't hold up.
I was at the local Menards (Home Store) tonight and a 60 gl. 6 hp el-cheapo is going for about $380 makes the one in the link above look awesome compared to it for the minimal amount of extra $$$.

I have not seen the units you mentioned around here,only husky/Campbell Hausfeld and Ingersoll rand.
Husky/Campbell Hausfeld:vt 6314.(home depot)
$649.
11.8 scfm@40psi
10.3 scfm@90psi
135psi max
60 gal
7hp peak/240 volt
3 year warrenty.

Ingersoll Rand $899.99 #ss3l3
60 gal
11.3cfm@90psi
13.2@40psi
3hp running 7.9hp peak.
230 volt
78dba
This one looks better built but is $250 more then the husky.
What do you think?

The $429 Puma in the above ads Has higher CFM ratings than either you listed for alot less money.

They both sound like good units, but for alot less money it looks like you can get a little more.

I did see the ones at home depot tonight (Husky) they have cast Iron compressors and look adequte. At least alot better than the Coleman and Cambel Hausfeld ones.

I just bought a Quincy, although probably a bit more $$ than you are looking to spend.

I have gotten by for a long time with small compressors, this new one is NICE. Granted was ~$1200, but is quiet and can put out more air than the grinder uses, even when I am using it heavy.

It laughs at my sandblaster.

I ended up getting the husky for $722 Canadian dollers(tax in).$500 u.s with taxes.
Hopefully it is quiet enough,and i guess you can't beat "do not pay for 6 months with no interest"!

I think the husky units are made by campbell hausfeld???
I hope its a good buy,we well see after i get some oil and hard wire it!

Mike.

i've been in the air compressor service business for 12 years now and we consider just about anything sold at home improvement stores as "throw away" pumps. not saying that they're bad for what they are but they're not designed for serious/heavy duty work. if you plan on doing a alot of grinding/porting you'll be money ahead buying an INDUSTRIAL RATED compressor ( CURTIS, QUINCY, GARDNER DENVER/CHAMPION ). i worked for an IR rep a few years back and they have not had a USA made 5hp compressor for quite some time. i would also recommend a 2 stage compressor for your application( you can run higher pressure into tank then regulate air out of tank to 85-100psi, this will extend cycle times a bit). minimum tank size of 60 gallons(save those old tanks and hook them up in your system, more storage=more run time) most industrial dealers, graingers,mcmaster-carr sell silencers for the intake of the compressors to quiet them down, could also pipe inlet outside to get same effect. keep storage tank drained as the water that collects in them will take up storage space(i've had many customers with 80 gallon tanks with 60 gallons of water!!!) alot of tool manufacters rate their tools at part use ie: 6cfm@90psi is for 30 seconds of use, now multiply that by however long you grind at a time!