Air Compressor opinions

Hit up home depot, and check out the 60 gal Husky. It's about 150 less than the IR. Unless you got some serious DA sanding or media blasting planned it will do fine.

I have a kobalt from lowes. Its a 30 gallon 155psi. It was cheaper than Home depot and its black istead of red. It is pretty quiet because it is not oil less. I am very pleased and it will run a die grinder for a long time. It might slow down some but not enough to hurt anything. Choose wisely. Oh and its 110Volts too. not too big not too small. JW:biggrin:

2 things you can never have enough of in your garage

One is power and the second is air

X 2.......I would also like to add light to the list. Buy the biggest compressor your budget can afford. I have a Devilbiss 6 horse, 60 gallon that I got from Lowes 10 years ago and is still running strong.

My Craftsman oilless works pretty well for what I need but it is LOUD - sounds like a fire alarm.

yeah lots of light, whole new perspective on life when you can see what your doing.

If you have the room on the side of the garage, can build a floating shed (for lack of a better term) to put the compresr in.

I have an Ingersoll Rand SS5L5 - a 60-Gallon Single-Stage Air Compressor. Specs:
MODEL NUMBER SS5L5
RUNNING HP 5.0 HP
VOLTAGE 240 Volts
PHASE Single Phase
CFM @ 40 PSI 18.1 CFM
CFM @ 90 PSI 15.5 CFM
MAX PRESSURE 135 PSI
DIMENSIONS 20" x 30" x 71"
WEIGHT 310 Lbs.
Works great, never had any problems. Buy as much as you can afford, even if you think the compressor is too big. Trust me, you'll find uses for it.:D
John

Buy the largest tank that you can afford and have room for. Also, try to find a two stage compressor with iron sleeves. It will last forever.

I second the Quincy. I had an old 325 made in 1950's that I rebuilt and it would run ANYTHING !!!! Damn ex sold it while we were separated. It's ok now.....I have a Walker with an 80 gallon tank, but I still miss my blue Quincy *sniffle, sniffle*

Let me..

guess:
"I have a Walker with an 80 gallon tank, but I still miss my blue Quincy *sniffle, sniffle*". And, you still miss your ex-wife... But, your aim is getting better??:D :eek:

I have the Husky oiless stand-up unit. Works well but has to run alot. Also extremely loud. I say go for a slightly more expensive "commercial" oil style.

When you buy an air compressor (as said before) get the biggest one you can afford. The IR's are very expensive, but you get what you pay for. When comparing them look at how much air they make. I always look at the 90psi cfm rating as most of specs of the tools I use have their specs at around 90psi.

Also with a big one you can make a little shed along side the garage and you can plumb the garage with a hard line with multiple ports to tie in a hose. You can also tie in a oiler and dryer in the line off the compressor.

Also realize that just about all of the big store compressors (big or small) are made by one company...cambell hausfeld (sp). At least with Ingersol Rand you're buying something that they make in this country.

X 2.......I would also like to add light to the list. Buy the biggest compressor your budget can afford. I have a Devilbiss 6 horse, 60 gallon that I got from Lowes 10 years ago and is still running strong.

I would modify it to buy the biggest your electrical outlet could handle too!:p

While we are talking air compressors, it is a good idea to plumb your air intake outside your garage if you can't put the whole compressor outside. The air intake is usually what makes the most noise.

Also, if you do any painting your compressor sucks in all those flamable paint fumes and compresses them into a 80 gallon paint bomb. One spark and your whole area blows up.

Get a compressor that runs in oil. Stay away from the oiless ones, They are loud and don't last as long.