air compressor help please

enforcer1

Hello everyone.

I need some advice/help before Sears trys to screw me.

Yesterday I bought a craftsman 60 gallon 2 stage 7 HP air compressor for my garage. I wired it in using a 30 amp circuit. When I was finished I turned it on for the break in period and the motor just revved up and down continuously (like surging i guess) for about 7 minutes then smoothed out. Great I thought! Then it quit:( something clicked it off internally (overheat sensor?) after a few minutes i turned it back on and same thing -surging.

So i changed the circuit to a 20. The instuctions actually stated 15 or 20 so I made a mistake but the thing still would not work right.

So as I have zero experience with these can someone give me some advice? Does this sound normal? Any suggestions? I called sears and scheduled an appointment for a repair but i dont want them saying i wired it wrong, so tough. I actually think i just got a bad motor. Anyone?

Are you sure you wired it up correctly? If you wired it up right, the fact you used a 30 amp breaker instead of a 20 will not hurt it any.
Is it 120 or 240 volt? Do you have a VOM? check to make sure that you are getting the correct voltage. Did the breaker kick?

Is it this one?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...0916561000&subcat=Stationary+Tank+Compressors

Where it wires in, there should be a pressure cut-in/cut-out switch. Three wires - two hot and one neutral/ground. The two hot should wire in to the connectors and the ground should wire into the housing or casing somewhere.

Be sure you are getting 240 +/- between the two hot leads and about 120 each to the ground. The 240 is crucial - the wrong breaker or wiring style will leave it with 120 at each leg and not a true 240 circuit.

That model also has a thermal overload switch. Verify your wiring and voltage, then check the switch.

Good luck!

Vic

Oh, Sears is great about their warranties - unless it is a cordless power tool.

Vic

The compressor it's self is 240 only, what sized wire do you have running to it? I believe 12 is regulation for 30A, I'd rather have 10 IMO. does it hum loudly when it's running? If it's surging that sounds like the capacitor start's coming on and off which makes mechanical overload plausible. Pull the belt off and see if the motor runs right, if so there's probably something wrong with the compressor it's self or the system going to it. Does it charge the tank at all when it's runing? There may be a valve you need to open somewhere, I'd imagine you've read the manual though.

If you have a 220v electric motor wired into 110v you will get the symptoms you describe so make sure the compressor is hooked up correctly and wired for the correct voltage (should be a tag or label on the motor showing you how to wire it).

The other thing if your wiring is correct is that the run windings are bad and the motor is running on only the start windings which will give you the on/off/on surge you described.

Look at the label/tag I mentioned and make SURE the unit is wired correctly and if so its time to take it back as it sounds like the motor has issues from the factory.

Belts?

Does this have belt or is it the oilless one? I have an upright oil less 6 horse, I can take pics of my wiring if it will help.

Thanks everyone.

AZ VIC yes that is the model I Bought.

I still think its wired right. i used a dual 20 amp so thats 220 right?

DRACONIC im not sure about the size wire, its real thick though. I think its a dryer wire (as in washer/dryer).

KLRV6 a pic of the wiring would be great! and yes it is the oiless and I believe beltless one.

I just grenaded that same compressor a week ago.That's the bad news.The good news is I had it since 98 so it lasted for quite a while.

20 amp is more then enough for that compressor and is what I had and still have on a much larger unit now.(this is assuming you have nothing else on those breakers)Your wire gauge is not an issue either as I actually had 14 running mine for all those years.So even under gauged wire will operate the unit.(i have now upgraded to 10 which is smarter and safer for my new one)

So if you have your white wire from a 20 amp breaker to the Comp and attached,the black wire from a 20 amp breaker to the Comp and attached,and your ground to the ground in the Comp you are wired correctly.

The only other thing to check would be voltage at the compressor on each the white/black wire connections.It is possible to have a bad breaker.

I do not recall any type of break in with that compressor.It was a wire and go and never touched it other then to drain the water every once and awhile.

Hope that helps,and good luck.

Pics up!

http://www.lezted.com/aircompressor/

You can use an air conditioner disconnect available at most home improvement stores for around $20. Pay attention to sale prices at Sears the will make adjustments to what you have paid per sale. I joined the Craftsman club and mine went on sale each week for a month, making this one FREE$$$:D :D :D :D . The clerk kept giving me back the original sales slip so I would just go back every week. I also picked up a new mower for $52.17 the tag read $52.17 off so that's what the sales guy put in as the price. I did point out his error but his response was "That's what they get for making me work today".

Brian,

I think these are rebuilable, less than $30 for the silicone piston that breaks from what I hear:)

Thanks for the info klrv6.I don't think the new one is any different then the one I had ? Not sure as they look identical still.

I don't know if you would call it a piston or a valve.It looked just like a valve.Anyways it spit both of them into pieces everywhere as well as blowing apart the bottom of the cylinders.Then the plastic wheel that goes roundy round sent shrapnel everywhere as well.I do agree it is most likely rebuildable and not sure what I am going to do with it.So far it's just been a yard ornament for the week to maybe scare intruders off.Looks like a stout fat man standing in the yard at night :) I contemplated being a redneck and making a grill out of it as well.Right now I'm still thinking guard duty for about a month or so.Any takers for a bar-b-q or guard?Free to good home :D

shame you're in florida, the gas would be killer but I need to grab a tank for my air head. Probably just have to go shell the $50 I said I'd pay for the 120 gallon tank at work. Using the 25 gallon tank I've got now is awful, especially when I'm using a die grinder. If I can get another one a bigger motor is probably in the future for my compressor.

Thanks guys for all the help and the pix.

I think its wired right. atahe only thing that bothers me is it says 240 volt and I have it hooked up 220.

I'm having someone come over tomorrow and check it out, Ill let everyone know what the problem was.

same same

220 and 240 are the same voltage, nominally. It even says 220-240 in the product spec. I agree with the other guys, check across the two wires at the compressor and make sure you have 220-240 VAC. I ran 10 gauge wire for mine and used a clothes dryer plug and receptacle. That way if I get a welder I'll put the same plug on it. I'm about out of circuits in my panel. I've had a Coleman 6 HP vertical for a while and it's been great.

220, 230, 240 all the same thing. As is 110, 115, 120... It's from the voltage gradually going up over the years as homes require more amperage due to more stuff that uses electric. In the 50's you could measure a receptacle and it would have 105-110 VAC now a days, it's 118-122 VAC.

It all works the same, so don't worry about it.

Check across the two leads and to the ground with a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter). If you don't have a VOM - find some one who does and get one soon. They work wonders in troubleshooting when you learn how to use them. VAC, VDC, and ohms is what you will end up learning and using.

Good Luck,

Vic

Just for your info, I am an electrician. First of all, use a 15A double pole breaker. Make sure you use #10 wire- 10-2 romex to run to a 220 rececpticle. You need to have a disconnecting means within sight of the compressor- as it states in the code. This does not mean that you need a disconnect because the cord running to the motor can be unplugged from the recepticle, which is considered a disnconnecting means. Anyways, the 10-2 romex will have a black, green, and with wire in it. Land the black on one side of the double pole breaker and the white on the other side of the breaker. Place the green on the ground bar. Do basically the same at the recepticle. the reason for the 15A breaker over a 20 or 30 is more to preotect your motor, even though #10 wire is rated over 30A. It is better to be as fail-safe as possible.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

My uncle diagnosed it in about 5 minutes. We had wired the outlet wrong. we had the white wire in the middle and the black wire on one side and the ground on the other. Apparently this way it was only putting out 110. So we changed the black and ground wire and now 220!

As a side note when I tightened the face plate down the screw cut into the hot wire and when I turned on the power it tripped the breaker. IT took me awhile to figure that one out but everything is OK now. Compressor seems to work great.

Thanks to all that gave me advice.:)