Ahhhh crap....a Super Chicken!

Big Paul

Bob Barker
Friday night, me and a friend were cruising through town, and came up to a stop sign, and were making a left hand turn.

Across to the right a black T-bird about 3 full were going straight, and the same direction we were.

I go first, and I check my rear-view and he gets behind me then switches lanes, and gets nose-to-nose with me. We cruise like this all the way up to a red light. As were driving I keep looking over and there doing the same trying to scope something out.

We get to the red, and wait for the turning lane. I can see the driver getting ready, and my friend looks over and gives a nod.

I thought this would be a stock 3.8, and maybe an easy kill or at least a pretty good race.

Cross lane lights are at yellow, and i'm getting ready. Our light goes green, and i'm off. Thought I had 3 cars through 2nd, but he was just screwing with me and letting me get the lead.

I'm thinking great, i'm gonna pull this guy and beat these chumps. Hell no, he guns it and blows me away like a hurricane. He only got about 2 cars before he shut it down.

While he's easing off a street light caught it good enough for me to see the Thunderbird SC printed right on the bumper.

Should have known. Silly Super Chicken. :D

There's a handful of those SC T-Birds in the 12s' they don't respond very well to mods a main problem is the cheap head gaskets. But still they're no slow leak either. Better luck next time Paul, and don't you think it's time for a swap? Drop in a 3.8 and go street cleaning as soon as I finish the new motor in my GN I'm dropping my old motor into a 82 Blazer after a little freshening and a lot of Alky:D

Paul its about time for a 305 or 350 in that thing.

The SuperChicken is definetly the fastest modern Tbird in my opinion, faster then the Turbo Coupe and 5.0

look at my sig.....

My SC is an auto and totally bone stock..... very heavy cars, they have some potential. They have a few factory handycaps, bad fuel pump, horrible exhaust, not the most efficent blower, 4000lbs, crappy auto trans, manual is better for the people who mod them.

TRavis

I have a Friend who had one of the SC T-birds, (got T-boned and totaled) it was pretty modded with ported heads and the works. The car ran a mid 13 traction limited and he also had a 75 shot of nitrous he wasn't running at the track so it would have been good for high 12's in my opinion and probably even better if he ever would have hooked it up without breaking. Nice cars and nothing to sneeze at when properly modded.

Yeah, they can be made pretty fast. I just recently bought a 91 SC Auto.. So far its mainly stock, but intend to do a bit of modding. Gonna do a 5% Pulley, some porting, Mustang headers, 2-3-2 exhaust, gears, shift kit, etc. etc. Its a PAIN the work on them though.

I plan to maybe drop a wildly modified 3.8 (stock block, .020" overbore, alot of boost, custom FMIC, bigger injectors, headers, exhaust, C4, 8.8 rear with 4.10's, etc. etc. etc.) into a v6 Mustang.. It shall be a wild v6 stang on the street :)

Cool run! I just picked up my '91 SC (5 spd) over Labor Day weekend. I still plan on the TR though. It does pull pretty good, but I haven't gotten on it too much, at least until I get some maintenance up to date to be on the safe side. From what I've gathered, there are a good number in the 12's, but only a couple faster than that. Cool cars though--fun to drive, excellent ride and handles very well.

Nice to see some respect for the SC

It seems like the combo of a GN weekend car and a Superchicken as a daily driver is pretty popular.

I want to invit any of you who are interested in the T-bird SC (or supercharged XR7 Cougars) to visit www.tbscec.com. It is the website for a new club set up by former members of the Supercoupe Club of America who are more interested in the cars than in the politics and BS of the SCCoA. www.sccoa.com is still a decent website, but 90% of the people who know anything have moved to the TBSCEC, there is much more accurate tech information there.

Also, with regard to SPRCHRGDPONY check out www.v6power.net There is a guy there named Gaston who is using a '94 Supercoupe motor with '99 mustang heads and intake in a '96 or so Mustang. He started out using a Vortech on it, but has since switched to a Turbo, not sure what type. Look in the articles section for the "green monster".

As far as quick supercoupes, there has been a big jump recently. Two years ago there was only one guy in the 12's, and that was with nitrous.

Now there are quite a few in the 12's and I know of two deep in the 11's, and those are all full interior 4000lb cars, with the IRS still there. 14's are possible stock, 13's are just barely possible with bolt ons. The big power comes with headwork and a new cam.

Re: Nice to see some respect for the SC

Originally posted by Andy 94SC
Also, with regard to SPRCHRGDPONY check out www.v6power.net There is a guy there named Gaston who is using a '94 Supercoupe motor with '99 mustang heads and intake in a '96 or so Mustang. He started out using a Vortech on it, but has since switched to a Turbo, not sure what type. Look in the articles section for the "green monster".

Yeah, i checked out that site before. Why did he switch to 99 heads? While my heads (91) were at the machine shop we compared them to a set of 00 V6 Heads and there was NOTHING different except for where they are made. Same size ports, same valves, same rocker arms, same valve springs, etc. Only thing between them is the aluminum SC heads are suposed to be stronger then the Aluminum 3.8 Stang heads. So I dont know...

Either way im not persuing the SC powered Stang project..I plan to sell my SC in about 2 years and buying a 94ish Supra TT that I will be bringing out thats gonna be nasty. For the amount of money to mod a SC motor...id rather build the Single Turbo + Juiced I6 With a 9" Ford Rear :)

I don't want to clog up kill/fish much

Sorry for a little Ford tech.

Are you sure you were looking at '00 Mustang heads?

The reason he is using the newer V6 heads and intake on the SC block is that the new 3.8L has twin intake ports, long runners for max torque at low RPM, short runners for more HP at higher RPMs. A set of valves switch between these two sets of tuned runners at a certain RPM. I think the original SHO V6 pioneered this type of tech. So a '99+ Mustang head should have 3 exhaust ports and 6 intake ports. http://www.v6power.net/articles/Album3.html
Look about 3/4 of the way down this page where Gaston has a shot profiling his "6 polished ports per head" it gives you a good view of the difference with these heads.