Aggressive cam for stock set up?

GW2

I was just wondering what you guys would recommend for a good cam for a stock set up, preferably something a little lumpy. How hard is it to upgrade to a roller cam? is anything other than the new cam required?

I would think for a stock setup you dont want a lumpy cam.A comp 206/206 would be a good replacement.The more duration you run the less low end torque you have untill a higher rpm.I would think that it would kill your turbo spooling up quick.With the engine stock the cam isnt holding you back on performance,many people on the run 11s or maybe 10s with the stock cam.With any car its more about choosing matching parts to make a car fast.If you just throw alot of parts at it that just sound impressive you will probably end up with a slow turd.

I see...

you haven't been doing your homework. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The stock cam has been into the 10's. You have to catch up on your reading. The first thing that makes these cars go fast and stay together, is knowledge. Scan/tuning comes next, to maintain a "no detenation"(knock) progression. 3rd comes your parts choice. By this time you will have an educated idea of the parts/combo's that work and those that have failed to meet the "great expectations".
You can go on the RJC or gnttype.org sites to check out some recipe's. and visit vortexbuicks.com as a knowledge base. But don't be afraid to ask questions. and don't forget to fill in your sig, w/any mod's so we can know where you are in your build, even if it is only a k&n filter.:cool: We've all been there.:biggrin:

you haven't been doing your homework. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The stock cam has been into the 10's. You have to catch up on your reading. The first thing that makes these cars go fast and stay together, is knowledge. Scan/tuning comes next, to maintain a "no detenation"(knock) progression. 3rd comes your parts choice. By this time you will have an educated idea of the parts/combo's that work and those that have failed to meet the "great expectations".
You can go on the RJC or gnttype.org sites to check out some recipe's. and visit vortexbuicks.com as a knowledge base. But don't be afraid to ask questions. and don't forget to fill in your sig, w/any mod's so we can know where you are in your build, even if it is only a k&n filter.:cool: We've all been there.:biggrin:

Very well put!!!

These cars can be great, or they can be nightmares. The difference between the 2 is knowledge.

they can be nightmares remember more fuel more air and a hot spark if that motor has good bearings and compression you got a can of whoop ass ready to be tapped free up the power thats there

You can go on the RJC or gnttype.org sites to check out some recipe's. and visit vortexbuicks.com as a knowledge base. But don't be afraid to ask questions. and don't forget to fill in your sig, w/any mod's so we can know where you are in your build, even if it is only a k&n filter. We've all been there.

It is broke... that's why I'm asking. Odds are I need a new cam. If i do happen to need a new cam i'll probably go with a 206/206 like suggested above. As for the homework thing you're entirely correct, I haven't actually looked into it at all yet, I pretty much have no free time these days so I figured I'd shoot the question over to you guys. I always heed the word of the TB community, you guys generally know what you're talking about. I hope it turns out my cam isn't done for, but I'm fairly sure it is. If there's one car part that's more of a mystery to me than any other it's the cam. I get how it works, but knowing how it works doesn't really tell me what's best. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you guys posted.

cam 206/206

It is broke... that's why I'm asking. Odds are I need a new cam. If i do happen to need a new cam i'll probably go with a 206/206 like suggested above. As for the homework thing you're entirely correct, I haven't actually looked into it at all yet, I pretty much have no free time these days so I figured I'd shoot the question over to you guys. I always heed the word of the TB community, you guys generally know what you're talking about. I hope it turns out my cam isn't done for, but I'm fairly sure it is. If there's one car part that's more of a mystery to me than any other it's the cam. I get how it works, but knowing how it works doesn't really tell me what's best. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you guys posted.

read my thread in the engine tech.

I agree with the 206/206, and if you can afford the roller do it and dont look back, We just put one in a buds stock motor car and what a difference it made the car pulls like an animal.