Aftermarket fuel pump and regulaor

strokethis

Ok so maybe this is a stupid question but i am putting a areomotive pump and regulator on my 87 gn. If i run the regulator before the rail i wouldn't need a return line am i correct? I am going to put a sump on my tank and just keep the sending unit in there for the fuel level. I really just want to clean things up under the car and the hood. I am going with braided line and didn't really want to run a return if i didn't have to. Thanks guys.

I wonder if you could put the regulator and return by the pump and tank and just run one line to the front at the right pressure and have it dead end at the rail? That's how the new LSX trucks are essentially. Problem is you'll want a large volume in reserve at the proper pressure to account for the injectors demanding more fuel when you hit boost. I run a stock tank, Weldon1100 from the top with aeromotive return right at the factory location using the factory rail and some adapters to make the stock rail handle -8 feed and -6 return. I really need to put my parts recipe together from when I did this. It wasn't cheap is all I remember...

It works for the LS guys, the Corvette setup has a one-piece filter/regulator unit that returns unused fuel. You'd definitely want to load-test the system before maxxing the boost...

I wonder if you could put the regulator and return by the pump and tank and just run one line to the front at the right pressure and have it dead end at the rail? That's how the new LSX trucks are essentially. Problem is you'll want a large volume in reserve at the proper pressure to account for the injectors demanding more fuel when you hit boost. I run a stock tank, Weldon1100 from the top with aeromotive return right at the factory location using the factory rail and some adapters to make the stock rail handle -8 feed and -6 return. I really need to put my parts recipe together from when I did this. It wasn't cheap is all I remember...

I would love to see how you got that plumbed using the stock tank. Still have the sending unit? I'm kicking around the same setup for my car.

The computer controls the pump output on the late model returnless systems. You must run a return system on a turbo buick.

As stated here, the returnless systems use the PCM to control fule pressure. You will see a pressure snesor connected to the PCM harness. The PCM monitors the fuel pressure and then adjusts the speed of the pump up or down to regulate the rail pressure.

You have 2 options, you could go returnless and purchase a fuel pump controller and configure, test and tune or you will have to go to a return style regulation system.

I dont know what level of performance you are aiming for but the proven return style is hard to beat, rarely gives problems and is easy to tune with many operations under the belt.

Hope this helps

Yes Machinegun. that helps me out very much. I will be running a return line lol. Thank you guys for all of your info and help. Great guys as always.

As stated here, the returnless systems use the PCM to control fule pressure. You will see a pressure snesor connected to the PCM harness. The PCM monitors the fuel pressure and then adjusts the speed of the pump up or down to regulate the rail pressure.

You have 2 options, you could go returnless and purchase a fuel pump controller and configure, test and tune or you will have to go to a return style regulation system.

I dont know what level of performance you are aiming for but the proven return style is hard to beat, rarely gives problems and is easy to tune with many operations under the belt.

Hope this helps

OK, let me jump back in here for a minute, there's a degree of misinformation by omission here.

Most "returnless" systems are now using pulsed pumps to regulate pressure. That said, there is an LS Corvette system (early C5) that uses an integrated filter/regulator assembly (which bolts to the frame rail) that filters, regulates, and returns the excess fuel back to the tank. A lot of LS swap guys are using this to clean up the engine bay and/or get by using a "new" style fuel rail that has no return line instead of buying an older manifold.

2510_1.gif