Advise on removing something on paint

Steves87

The GN I recently bought has a few small sections that are on the rocker panels which looks like flat black paint. It looks like one of the previous owners tried touching up with a dull flat black. I have used a Zymol product that strips similar to a clay bar and this is doing the job but extremely slow. Is there something else, maybe a rubbing compound that might work better? The strange thing once I started getting the dull flat black paint off is there is nothing wrong underneath this. Why woud someone paint dull flat black on the rocker panels and spots on the lower doors?

Ahh..........finally a use for 1500-2000 grit sandpaper. (People who use it say, "I've been wetsanding my new paintjob with 2000 grit........... for the last two years") Problem with getting off this paint is that it might go through the good paint before your done. Try wrapping a piece of this fine paper around something flat, and gently water sand the offending flat paint. Then polish with some fine compound.

If the flat is just rattle can paint and the paint underneath is factory or high quality refinish, lacquer thinner will take it off fine and will not damage the paint underneath. It will take the rattle can paint off quickly. Just don't keep the paint wet for too long. I know the though of this will scare some, but it works fine as long as you follow the cautions above. If it scares you too much try is somewhere you can't see first.

There is a lot of texture to the GN rockers. Sand paper won't get the paint out of the lows, unless you sand the paint almost flat.

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Id try a clay bar.. That may work too

I have been using the clay bar in combination with the Zymol precleaner. The clay bar seems to activate the paint and the Zymol precleaner takes it off. It is just extremely tough to get off. It does look like a flat either spray paint or brush paint, but either way the original paint underneath looks great. Not sure why this was done.