Advancement of fuel delivery?

Spool Valve Strategy

Using a delay box, the tbrake button will be released on the first amber on a 3 amber tree. I'm going to stick with a delay of .92 sec before tbrake release. I'll adjust it accordingly to get a reaction time of around .02.
The spool valve control is on the aux channel of the boost controller. I'll program the S-valve to be completely open at staging, and begin closing when the tbrake button is released. The nitrous will also be activated on tbrake button release. So as the nitrous system is activated on tbrake button release, the S-valve will begin closing.
From actual tbrake release, the launch point, the S-valve will be timed to stay closed for 1.5 seconds. After that point, the valve will open.
As testing progresses, the amount of S-valve closer during staging will increase so that less time will be needed for the valve to completely close after tbrake button release. This will end up increasing the overall time that the S-valve is helping out through pre-launch and launch.
After reaching a point of no further gain with the S-valve closed point at the staging end, I'll start increasing the time that the valve is closed through the launch. This time will keep increasing to a point where boost is just building too fast or too high.

Best 60 foot to date w/91mm, and with an initial tune of the ALS is a 1.49. The datalog file is 27a. A review of that datalog follows:
62.680 (-.90) 2420/93.5. N2O starts. MAP rise was immediate, with the a/f mixture before the start of the hit at 12.65-13.15:1.
63.580 (0.0) Tbrake released. 4097/99.6. ALS has been on for .3 sec. 1 psi boost at this point.
63.820 (0.24) 4133/103 kPa tuning point -1%.
64.220 (0.64) 4364/109.5 kPa tuning point good. Rpm lagged a bit between the last time point and this one, although map maintained a steady climb.
64.740 (1.16) 4695/124.3 kPa tuning point good. Map rise very smooth after this point.
65.080 (1.48) 5289/144.0 kPa tuning point good. Crossing 60 foot at this point. ALS killed by wall .100 before this point. Map maintained good climb rate.
65.380 (1.78) 6101/177.2 kPa tuning point good. Wall is finished with a sign that ALS is recovering. A good point to have boost control lower pressure in
preparation for the 1-2 shift.
65.420 (1.82) 6194/185.9 tuning point good. The nitrous system times out. RPM momentarily leved for .110 sec at this point. Map rise maintained a good
climb rate.
65.480 (1.88) 6285/193.2 tuning point good. Approaching boost target (200 kPa) for 1-2 shift.
65.740 (2.14) 7192/246.2 tuning point good. 1-2 shift point. MAP too high.
Map reaching 1-2 shift target level in 2.78 seconds from nitrous activation. 1.88 seconds from tbrake release.

Boost controller timeline:
2.68 seconds looks like a good point to start dropping control pressure for the 1-2 shift. At 3.34 start bringing the
pressure back in. Fine tune it after getting some new data. Particularly with the S-valve in the picture.

S-valve control:
Open at staging.
Starts to close with release of tbrake button. .92 seconds allotted for valve closing time.
Stays closed for 1.4 seconds, then opens for remainder of run.

27a datalog note.

Nitrous activated for .915 sec before transbrake release.

The datalog shows that the rpm rise on the nitrous, while on the transbrake, appears to nose over and settle at around 4090 rpm. This is just before the point that the transbrake releases.
On the other hand, within .2-.3 of a second, map takes on a steady climb from the point of nitrous activation. The map rise maintains a smooth and steady climb, even through the point where the rpm has settled for a moment waiting for transbrake release.
That brings up some questions.
How high would the map go with longer time on the transbrake?
At what point would the climb nose over?
Would it even nose over?
Would the map reach a point where it would pull the stall speed higher?
How high would that stall speed be?

TC stall speed as recorded in this datalog is 2420 rpm at the point before nitrous activation, 4090 rpm .915 seconds into the nitrous hit.

Sounds like you may have solved your converter issues Donnie. Have you had a chance this week to go down the track?

I was doing some figuring, lately. That's what I do when I'm bored. I was trying to figure out what would make for a good launch with the car.
Using the present size nitrous hit, just how much boost would I need, working along with the nitrous to give me a respectable launch?
After looking over the most recent datalogs, engine rpm and map acceleration really starts to take off at 125 kPa. Historically, that's always been the case with this engine. 125 kPa is about 3.5 psi boost.
A little more time on the transbrake, and with the quick spool valve helping out, what engine rpm will be needed to achieve 4 psi boost?
Will the present stall speed of the TC allow the engine to reach the stall speed that could create that target boost level in a reasonable amount of time, on the transbrake?
Once that target boost was achieved, could the nitrous be shut down and the engine still maintain that boost level? My thinking at the moment is that the engine, without the help of the nitrous, would not be able to maintain a high enough speed to maintain that boost level with the present turbine housing.
In the most recent datalog, 125 kPa is achieved by 4700 rpm. How much rpm could be dropped off of that figure with the quick spool valve?

I don't think you need to drop the RPM Donnie. It's almost asking for a little more time to get you to the 5K RPM you need. I really do think you need to consentrate on getting the 60' down to a lower number though. You really have an 8 second car if you can get the 60' down to where you were before.

I don't think you need to drop the RPM Donnie. It's almost asking for a little more time to get you to the 5K RPM you need. I really do think you need to consentrate on getting the 60' down to a lower number though. You really have an 8 second car if you can get the 60' down to where you were before.
It's not that I would be lowering rpm of anything. I would be achieving 125 kPa MAP BY a lower rpm.

My bad Ronnie. I misread what you were saying. LOL Sometimes I need to slow down and read a little.

Latest fuel map revision, Alky 3.2/27e.

Attachments

• Untitled-1rs.jpg
    Untitled-1rs.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 279
I'm not sure what you are wanting to show us? The kpa scale seems odd.
The fuel map has gone through a wild evolution since the start of this project. I'm just updating people on the progress. You can go back through the thread and find the last table to compare this one with. You'll see a big change in the size of 'the wall'. Plans are to keep leaning the wall until the point that it doesn't kill the new als feature I'm now tuning for.
An interesting thing occurs on the first run after having the car sit for a week or more. Any fuel that is in the aux fueling system plumbing past the solenoid has evaporated away by then, so there is an air volume in the plumbing, after the solenoid, up to the tips of the fuel nozzles. On the first activation, 'the wall' as it is now does a good job of masking the lean spot that occurs as the aux fueling volume is being purged of air.
After the first run, the aux fueling plumbing has fuel sitting in the plumbing so that there is very little air volume to purge on the next activation. With 'the wall' as it is now, the fueling is too rich on the following activations of the aux system. There is a noticeable flat spot in power when the aux fueling system activates. The wall needs to be leaned to make up for this condition, but then the fueling will be too lean on the next occurrence of the first activation after the system has been sitting long enough to evaporate the fuel in the aux fueling system plumbing volume.
I'm going to lean 'the wall' and see if there is a compromise size for 'the wall'. If I find there isn't, then I'll have to rig up a purge button to purge the aux system of air before each run, or at the very least, the first run after a long sitting of the car.

Cal. What is it that you find strange about the kPa scale? I'll try my best to explain.

So you got a chance to run this weekend or were you just testing again Donnie? BTW, the map does look better than previous ones.

So you got a chance to run this weekend or were you just testing again Donnie? BTW, the map does look better than previous ones.

Nothing going on with the car lately. The fuel system has been flushed and she's sitting until the 9th of January.

Thanks. The map is smoothing out nicely.