adjusting cam sensor with Casper's cap

ekafrawy

United States of Space
I recently finished installing a new timing chain on my 87. I also ordered a new cam sensor cap from Casper. I followed the directions on setting it. The car does start up, but when I took it for a ride, as soon as I gave it quarter to half throttle it started to hessitate and skip bad with a good amount of black smoke out the exhaust. This leads me to think that the timing is off because of the very rich condition here. My question is how do i make sure the cam sensor is set correctly. I know its not 180* off because I marked it at tdc before disasembling the timing set.
That red light on the cap says on with a few degrees of adjustment. I just need to know how to set it exactly.

You rotate the cam sensor CCW until the light "just" turns on. :smile: I'm assuming you had the crank set 25*ATDC.

If I remember correctly, those caps allow you to set the sensor at TDC rather than 25 ATDC. Seems like you start with the cap screws all the way to the right (as far clockwise in the elongated retaining holes), adjust like Mikestertwo said, loosen them, rotate to the center to get 25 ATDC, then tighten.