Accumulator Bowl - Couple of questions

CombatComProg

I ordered a new powermaster, but I do have a good accumulator from a GN that's in storage. I was told not to buy a used one, but is it safe to swap out the bad accumulator with the used on my GN while I wait two weeks for the new powermaster to come in?

How do I install it?

How does the acumulator come off?

Thanks!

yeah it should work fine. With the key off press the brake 10 times until they get hard. This empties the fluid/pressure in the accumulator ball. After that just get a wrench and unscrew it. Screw the new one in and turn the key on and let the motor run to fill it back up. I usually turn the key on for 10 secs or so and then turn it off for a second so i don't hurt the motor. then turn the key on one more time to let the motor finish filling up the ball. Just keep a towel on the fender just incase you spill a bit or something strange happens. It is a very easy job though :)

what do you mean by "turn the key on for 10 secs or so and then turn it off for a second so i don't hurt the motor." Do you mean you start the car and let it run for 10 seconds? What is the risk to the motor for letting it run like it's supposed to??

He means that with the ignition off. Keep pumping and let the brakes get hard as concrete then...continue from what he said. If the keys were in then the PM would pull the brake fluid as you push it.

CombatComProg said:
what do you mean by "turn the key on for 10 secs or so and then turn it off for a second so i don't hurt the motor." Do you mean you start the car and let it run for 10 seconds? What is the risk to the motor for letting it run like it's supposed to??

I meant when after you install the new accumulator ball the powermaster motor has to turn on and recharge the ball. So i turn the ignition key to on (motor off) and let it prime the new ball for 10 seconds or so. Then i turn the key off for a second as running the pm motor for too long always bothers me(sometimes they will run for up to 25 seconds or so trying to recharge the ball). I then turn the key on again to finish priming the ball.