Acceleration Issues...

Bird of Prey

Hi Folks! Thanks for this great board and for the help we can get!

I own a bone stock TTA and have acceleration issues for a couple of months

Here's the deal:

When i floor the gas-pedal the car accelerates strong, then it stutters until it revs slowly to the shiftpoint, then, in next gear theres stuttering also... until i let off

When i give only about 1/4 gas the car accelerates fast and revs up very easily. boost is up at approx the original 18 psi on the boost gauge. (original)

i already checked the throttle position sensor, the reading on the voltmeter is right, i also adjusted the tv-cable. no improvement.

man.. i got no scan tool and i'm afraid there is no mechanic here in europe that could help me.

so i appreciate every opinion of you guys!

thx in advance

matt, from austria

It sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Try changing the fuel filter first. The fuel pump is a PAIN to change in the TTA. You have to drop the rear suspension to remove the tank. It's a 4-5 hour job laying on your back! I hate doing them soo much that I usually replace the stock intank pump with an external one. I fabricate a 1/2" stainless fuel line that goes to the bottom of the tank, with a "sock" on it. Then it runs along the front of the tank to the drivers side of the car. Then I mount the pump(s) forward of there. A Walbro-340 pump would be MUCH easier to do, though. They seem to last a long time, too. It's just such a pain to do, that I like to modify the stock system to make my life easier in the future.

Fuel delivery or possible ignition coil pack. Check fuel pressure and resistance on the coil pack towers. Coils should read 12K +-1K.

You'll need a digital volt/ohm meter (about $20 at Sears) Remove the plug wires from the coil pack and take scotch brite and clean the terminals off. Then probe the front and back terminals of each coil. They should read between 11K-13K ohms. Place the red test lead on one terminal and the black on the other (it doesn't matter which goes to which), then read the meter. Repeat this on the three coils. The coil pack is one unit with three coils. Just place the probes on the terminals that are closest together front to back.
edit: Oh, wait I forgot you live in Europe. I'm not sure where to get a digital volt/ohm meter, but I'm sure you can find one if you don't already have one. An anolog one will work on the coil pack if that's all you have access to.

okay, right now i understood that i have to take the plug wires off. should i give them numbers to assemble them right afterwards?

i probe one front "hole" with the rear one? that means, e.g.: red line front, black line rear? and then there must be the reading of 12-13k ohm?

and don't worry, i already have a digital voltmeter. Europe is the old continent, but we also have modern products. :biggrin:

thanks for now, i will check the coil pack...

matt

k, checked the coil pack now. I get resistance readings between 10.5 and 11.5 k ohm.

What i rekognized first were 2 rusted plugs on the rear side of the pack. i cleaned them and now i will go for a test drive. hold your thumbs guys!

i also want to go for error codes of the ecm. we will see

matt

ok, third post in a row. hattrick, na?

good news: no error code

bad news: just broke one spark plug wire because of excessive rust.

where to get the best fitting spark plug wires for the turbo trans am?

thx guys so far...

matt

in europe? try online. im sure any one of the vendors on here would ship international.

i'm not really good on TTAs, maybe someone else can help him with a good site? or maybe autozone or something?

man you just grabbed an old thread.

The issue is of course already fixed, guess what it was...

a broken spark plug. not more, not less...