AC Issue on my 92 Chevy Burb 1500

terik.m

I thought GNs are black
My Suburban's AC comp clutch cycles on and off in 5 sec intervals at least 10 times. Around the tenth cycle the compressor will not engage at all. The digital climate control will then flash "AC" over and over. I disconnected and reconnected the battery and it did the same thing. I then disconnected the switch on the Dryer Accumulator and jumped the harness. When I did that the compressor and AC system functioned normally. There is one of two things going on...either the switch is bad or I am low on refrigerant. In event it is the refrigerant, can R12 be mixed with Freeze 12?

Definitely sounds low. I have know idea if you can mix those refrigerants. I can't believe it's still got R-12!! Might be a good time to retrofit, find the leak, re-charge. Phil.

I worked on a truck this summer w/exact same issue. Turned out to be the connector at the low pressure switch.
I would throw a set of gauges on it and see where you're at. Keep in mind system pressure changes with ambient so it will be low this time of year. Also most LP switches are adjustable.
If you're willing to drive to vegas I'll hook you up with R12 for a case of Bud Light. :smile:

Definitely sounds low. I have know idea if you can mix those refrigerants. I can't believe it's still got R-12!! Might be a good time to retrofit, find the leak, re-charge. Phil.

I'm not too sure if it has a retrofit kit on it. I may just go r134 before summer gets here because its gets hotter than fish grease in the valley.

I worked on a truck this summer w/exact same issue. Turned out to be the connector at the low pressure switch.
I would throw a set of gauges on it and see where you're at. Keep in mind system pressure changes with ambient so it will be low this time of year. Also most LP switches are adjustable.
If you're willing to drive to vegas I'll hook you up with R12 for a case of Bud Light. :smile:

I also read about the connector issue as well. That's what prompted me to jump the connector. I think the connector is good. When I jumped it the system worked just fine. LOL on the R12...I think you have to be licensed here in Cali to buy it...it might be that way nation wide.

I went outside and looked at the fittings. If I am not mistaken the old r-12 fittings should be threaded on top right? If so I believe that my truck has been converted to r134 because the fittings are the quick connect style. I also have a gauge that was used to recharge a 134 system and it connects.

I'm not too sure if it has a retrofit kit on it. I may just go r134 before summer gets here because its gets hotter than fish grease in the valley.

Wish I had that problem!! 28 degrees here, hasn't been above 30 in three weeks! Last one I seen with this issue turned out to be a low charge. Put a oil charge with some dye in it, re-charge it. Good luck! Phil.