AC Compressor Stopping after 4 minutes

tonysmach

When I start my car and I turn on the AC it works fine but after about 4 minutes then the AC clutch stops and starts more frequently until finally it does not work. If I turn the car off and re-start it, the AC won't work. If I let the car cool down for an hour or two and then start it, turn the AC on then it will work for about 4 minutes and then eventually the compressor clutch will not engage (increasing the start and stopping of the compressor clutch until it won't engage). I tried replacing the relay switch but that was not the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

you might try when its hot ohm out the coil for the clutch and see if it shows good or bad, and if im not mistaken there is a resistor on the plug check it to see if its good as well. Its a start, the coil could be breaking down under heat loads

Tony,

You are probably low on refrigerant. You need to hook a gauge set up and watch the pressures.

Your static pressure (car cold, engine off) should be about the same as ambient temp. If static pressure is low, you are probably low on charge.

Compressor should cycle off at 25 psi and back on at 45 psi (low side).

High side pressure should be around 190-220 psi. If you are converted to R134A, High side pressures might run a little higher.

You can borrow my gauge set if you don't have access to any.

Dave

Is your cooling fan running when A/C is on? My compressor would stop when I was having fan problems. I think it builds up too much heat when the fan isnt pulling air through the condensor.

Tony,

You are probably low on refrigerant. You need to hook a gauge set up and watch the pressures.

Your static pressure (car cold, engine off) should be about the same as ambient temp. If static pressure is low, you are probably low on charge.

Compressor should cycle off at 25 psi and back on at 45 psi (low side).

High side pressure should be around 190-220 psi. If you are converted to R134A, High side pressures might run a little higher.

You can borrow my gauge set if you don't have access to any.

Dave

Dave,

It has been converted to 134A. I really appreciate the offer to let me use your gauge. Will you be home around 5 pm tomorrow, Friday? I can stop by on my way home from work. I can give you a call before I come over.

Tony

Is your cooling fan running when A/C is on? My compressor would stop when I was having fan problems. I think it builds up too much heat when the fan isnt pulling air through the condensor.

I replaced the blower fan with a new one. All 4 speeds work. Thanks for responding.