AC Compressor no kicking on...

87gnguy

Well, since I'm in Florida and it's getting kinda hot, I thought I'd try out my AC. I turn it on and the compressor doesn't kick on. So, I start checking fuses, they are good. Then I jump it at the plug on the passenger side and it works and starts blowing cold. I put my gauges on it and the Freon is where it should be in the system. I'm wondering if the plug at the silver canister on the passender side (I think it's called the evaporater) might need to be replaced or is there a relay or something else. I just don't want to go throwing money and parts at it until it's fixed. That gets expensive :unsure:

If pressures are good, it's the switch. Had to replace it on two cars.

That's what I was thinking. I haven't had to replace mine yet but I wanted to make sure before I have to dump the freon to replace the switch. :)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Isn't that called a low pressure switch (the one on the side of the silver cylinder)?

Isn't that called a low pressure switch (the one on the side of the silver cylinder)?

Yes, i believe so . . . and it has a Schrader valve so no need to dump freon. :cool:

Ok. I loosened it and freon came out so I tightened it back up. I guess that was just what snuck by... cool :)