AC Compressor Growl

Justin85

What would cause the AC compressor to growl when you blip the throttle or turn the steering wheel. It dose not happen all the time but once in a while I'll get some growl. My AC works great otherwise.

Bearing is like $15 bux and compressor can stay on the car.
New compressor will run you a couple hundred and you'll need to re-charge the system.

What makes you think it is AC making the noise? I've spun my wheels more than once chasing under hood noises. My last one was spring in tensioner was bad on my Durango. Replaced most spinning things before I found the true source. Does sound like AC pulley but tough to be certain. Would be good if someone could turn wheel while you listen with stethoscope. That can help in diagnosing prior to tear down.
Good luck
Joel

Does the sound change with the a/c on and off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Most likely the compressor clutch.
RockAuto has the AC Delco part. link

General video on how to replace it.

Yes possible clutch maybe the charge is low too. It happens when blipped because it makes more pressure and satisfies the pressure switch. Then clutch turns off, rinse and repeat.
Try raising rpm and hold steady see if the clutch will turn on and off repeatedly. Check charge pressure too.

When the ac is on the load on the belt and tensioner is greater. When you turn the wheel with the ac on the load is even greater due to the PS steering pressure so its possible its not the compressor:) could be..could tensioner, compressor, ps pump :)

Hmm , Maybe I'll just take it too a shop , I know the tensioner bearing is new. But Could it be a possible that I have the wrong belt ?

When the ac is on the load on the belt and tensioner is greater. When you turn the wheel with the ac on the load is even greater due to the PS steering pressure so its possible its not the compressor:) could be..could tensioner, compressor, ps pump :)
Hmm , Maybe I'll just take it too a shop , I know the tensioner bearing is new. But Could it be a possible that I have the wrong belt ?
The tensioner spring maybe weak and that part is not serviceable.

Look at the indicator scale on the tensioner. That will tell you if the belt is right.

You can also slip a breaker bar behind the I/C and turn the tensioner to remove the belt. With the belt off, spin the ac pulley. If it's crunchy then you found your issue.

A few tries with hit and miss is STILL better than taking the car to a shop!!