AC Clutch Bearing Keeps Going Out

rpoletis

My 1987 GN AC is driving me nuts! Original Compressor died 2 years ago. Replaced with a new 4 seasons AC Delco compressor, orifice tube, and dryer. Ran the system and even though it held vacuum - - I had a small leak and by the end of the year (~9 months later) compressor was quick cycling. Fixed the leak (replaced the evaporator core). and ran the system for 6 months. Then the AC compressor developed this high-pitched squeal only when the AC clutch was disengaged. When AC was on (clutch engaged) it hushed up. Looking at posts and other literature it indicated that the compressor picked up internal garbage, overheated and damaged the AC clutch bearing. Soooo in August last year - replaced compressor with a new AC Delco compressor, flushed everything like 5X (evaporator and condenser core) installed new orifice tube and dryer. Then re-oiled the system (low and high side) charged and good to go!!! Now this May the AC Delco compressor is rumbling - - this time a grinding sound, and like the older compressor, this only happens when AC clutch is disengaged - when engaged it is all good. Keep in mind (both times) the AC blows cold and works, and the problem is the AC clutch bearing. Everything in the car is stock (bone stock) - and all the pullies are in alignment (used a ruler) to verify center. What am I missing? I was thinking that the compressor picked up something, but it was over the winter the car sat. In April I used the AC maybe 2X (30 minute run time in total). I am out of ideas - - At this point I am thinking to just replace the compressor, condenser, orifice tube and dryer again. flush the evaporator core (not going through the cost and effort to replace that again) and run it. If it goes out again - - well there is always the AC delete pully. Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated.