About to attempt my version of Spring Cleaning.

Redvette

1987 GN "Project Car"
About to attempt my version of the "Spring Cleaning " list.

Brief synopsis of the car:

I have a 1987 Buick Grand National with 84k miles on it. Paint sucks.
Its probably been sitting in a garage for the past year or two without much movement. It started right up when I picked it up. But it hesitated.

I dont plan on "racing" this car. Just want a reliable engine and a car to "cruise" around in.

I have a few questions:
- Whats the difference between a Stage 1 & Stage 2 model?
- How do I tell which one I have?

- What viscosity Oil should I be using? (remember its an old unmaintained car.)
- Regular or Synthetic Oil?
- Oil Cap(s)- Regular of the kind with the little Filter Element attached?
- Can the Exhaust be changed using a Jack and Jack Stands or do I need a lift?
- Spark Plugs. Are they easy to access or not?
- Which Plugs are recommended?
- Which Spark Plug Wires are recommended??
- Radiator and Coolant?? Which Coolant should I be using?
- Brakes- Which Brake Fluid (Dot Level) should I be using)?
- Turbo- Any basic adjustments I should make to it? Or should I leave that for later?
- Hood Struts- Is this basic or is there a trick to it??
- Power Radio Antenna- Where can I get one and is it a DIY project??

- And YES , I plan on having David at TBPT look over the car once I get the basic stuff done.

I think thats it for now. Thanks in advance.
:cool:

(Just posting so I become subscribed to the thread...handful of these questions have been at the back of my mind as well)

Edit: I can give my $.02 towards some of your questions
Oil - I am personally interested in hearing the debate between regular and synthetic. From what I've read it doesn't really matter as long as you use ZDDP additive.
Plugs - not too difficult...if I can do them ANYONE can lol. I remember one being particularly tricky, but am not sure which one it was exactly. I have been told to use NGK UR5 plugs or Autolite 23 (run a little cooler than the UR5 and me being in SoFla needs to keeps the temps. down!)

Id use regular oil,(i prefer castrol gtx) synthetic oil will clean out your motor find all your leaks for you :mad: ask me how i know lol.......

Some pics of my "projectcar".

GN Drivers side.jpg

GN Engine bay.jpg

GN Front.jpg

GN Hoodliner.jpg

GN Pass Side.jpg

I dont know how long it has been since this car was washed. But you can see what a quick touch with detail spray has done so far.

tune up 8.jpg

wow, that muffler is crazy, looks like you pulled a wig out of there. :eek:

I might give that detail spray a try, did a nice job considering...

These cars did not come from the factory with stage blocks/heads. You have a factory 109 block as did all TR's. Pretty darn stout block.

I always use 10w30 mobil1 synthetic with a bottle of zddp.
Basic tune up I would use acdelco cr43s spark plugs gapped at .30
Dot3 brake fluid
I used prestone green coolant for Texas weather
Might want to replace the pcv valve
Wires....there's a couple of vendors here for those, someone will chime in.
If that muffler was that bad, i would just bring the car somewhere and have the entire system replaced.

I will see what else i can think of after i feed the babies.

wow, that muffler is crazy, looks like you pulled a wig out of there. :eek:

I might give that detail spray a try, did a nice job considering...

That Wig/ Cat/ or whatever in the muffler felt like Fiberglass. I assume it had something to do with the construction of the muffler.

Where the hell is that 10ga wire going to? Stands out like a hooker in church.

Since the Heater doesnt work, I will assume that RED WIRE is connected to the portable heater that is sitting under the seat.

These cars did not come from the factory with stage blocks/heads. You have a factory 109 block as did all TR's. Pretty darn stout block.
Whats that mean???? I was told the car is "BONE STOCK".
Do I have differents Heads and Block then a Stock car had???

I:cool::cool::cool:

I'm confused. Were you told you have stage parts? A 109 is the stock block. That car appears "bone stock". Look on the block for the serial number. It should end in 109. It should also have "3.8" cast into it.

I'm confused. Were you told you have stage parts? A 109 is the stock block. That car appears "bone stock". Look on the block for the serial number. It should end in 109. It should also have "3.8" cast into it.

No. But you mentioned above that these cars didnt come with STAGE HEADS. I do not know what stage heads are or why they were mentioned. So I thought you saw something that didnt belong.

Note on the hood struts, do not buy the generic ones...they are too strong for our 23 year old cars and you will eventually break the hood.

No. But you mentioned above that these cars didnt come with STAGE HEADS. I do not know what stage heads are or why they were mentioned. So I thought you saw something that didnt belong.

Stage blocks and heads are motorsport parts. The first two bullet points under "I have a few questions" indicate that someone may have thought that this car has stage block/heads.

Stage blocks are beefier, amongst other strengthening. Stage heads are much better flowing. Stage parts are cheap.....compared to the price of lets say.....a nuclear submarine.

Ah, now I see it. You were responding to the STAGE 1 /STAGE 2 question. Now it makes sense.

Thanks

Stage blocks and heads are motorsport parts. The first two bullet points under "I have a few questions" indicate that someone may have thought that this car has stage block/heads.

Stage blocks are beefier, amongst other strengthening. Stage heads are much better flowing. Stage parts are cheap.....compared to the price of lets say.....a nuclear submarine.

Congrats on your purchase.

I bought my '87 GN with 80k less than a month ago.

One thing I'd like to add is: Check for vacuum leaks. I found a few small ones on mine. That made a big difference fixing those. Try the carb cleaner trick to find them.
These cars have to have things right.

The exhaust: Mine must be a custom exhaust,because it looks nothing like you have. It is a single pipe with a small cat,then a Y,two small mufflers,then over the axle..ending in 2 slash cut chrome tips exiting behind the tires from an angle. Sounds good,looks good.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops.

Whats the CARB Cleaner "trick"???

Also on the firewall there are two hose connections coming out of the area by the AC unit. The left connection is NOT connected to any hose. Should it be? WHat is this for???

Congrats on your purchase.

I bought my '87 GN with 80k less than a month ago.

One thing I'd like to add is: Check for vacuum leaks. I found a few small ones on mine. That made a big difference fixing those. Try the carb cleaner trick to find them.
These cars have to have things right.

The exhaust: Mine must be a custom exhaust,because it looks nothing like you have. It is a single pipe with a small cat,then a Y,two small mufflers,then over the axle..ending in 2 slash cut chrome tips exiting behind the tires from an angle. Sounds good,looks good.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops.