? about my 81 z28

87TR_WE4$$$

Hello,
I bought my 81 z28 4 years ago when I was wet behind the ears and now I think I'm ready to start the resto. Thing is the cars been sitting apart and hasn't been started because the cam is bad. What am I looking at? If I need a rebuild is a crate motor a better options?

Any input is welcome
Thanks

There is no right answer.

A crate motor is definitely easy since it comes in a nice little bundle, ready to go. If you have all the major components of the original engine, and they're not damaged, rebuild it.

Was thumbing thru a catalog at my friends last night, in it they had a 330hp 350 crate motor, everything there but the intake, for $1233...

hell, just the machine shop bill for my buick was more than that...

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
Was thumbing thru a catalog at my friends last night, in it they had a 330hp 350 crate motor, everything there but the intake, for $1233...

hell, just the machine shop bill for my buick was more than that...

Yup, I think thats that ZZ4 motor. I put one in in my old shop, into an 85ish TransAm. With an HEI ignition and a holley 700 (I think....was a long time ago) vac secondaries, I know it took me a few tries to get the spring right, but the car was a very nice ride. I was impressed.

I think you'll be very happy with BFH's suggestion. As for the BUick, I can sympathize. I think I got a grand total of $5000 into my long block now.

The crate motor is cool, but if you would rather do it yourself I have a great build up for cheap. Assuming your block, crank, and rods are in good shape. Get yourself a set of late model vortec heads complete and ready to bolt on for under $600. Stick a nice .480 lift cam in, and get an edelbrock vortec intake and you are rollin. With 9.5-1 compression, this motor makes 375 HP.I just finished up this build on my dads Vette. It really screams considering the fact I only put $1200 into it. Those heads are great and I think the ZZ4 has them as well.

Hmm I would get a 400 or 455 block maybe even a cadillac 500 motor and start from there - that would be a monster ;)