Abandoned Trans Am

jhef83

This guy left a project Trans Am at the house he was renting. After being evicted. The home owner gave him a week to get everything out. After 2 weeks they let my brother in law take the car. Anybody know if thats legal? Doesn't seem right to me. :confused:

two weeks

it doesn't sound legal to me ..... :eek: i was talking to a guy at a tow yard about that and he said it was more like 6 months . this is in the state of mass... :)

Every state is different about these types of laws. I would start with your Dept. of Motor Vehicles, and the local popo. The owner may have to put a lien on the car, and follow that route, before being able to call it abandoned, or forfeited. Once the appropriate routes are followed, times expired, etc., he should be able to file for a lost title on it, especially with the appropriate paperwork from the owner of the property...Make sense?

Remember, EVERY STATE IS DIFFERENT, and unless someone from your state has experience with this, you're just getting a bunch of crap opinions.

Hope that helps. :smile:

I dunno. My brother got his T-type because someone left it at a shop for too long. The shop legally took ownership of it as an abandoned vehicle and sold it (albeit with a salvage title). If the guy was evicted the landlord probably had a right to take it to satisfy a debt. It almost happened to a guy I know except they tried to take thousands of $$ worth of Snap-On tools that he had to leave behind when they locked him out. He was able to pay the landlord and get his stuff back.

Jim

Not at all the legal.

Ur brother is risking an arrest for PSMV or Posession of Stolen Motor Vehicle. Certainly wont be a conviction in court but who the hell wants to get locked up for anything at all. He needs to find the original owner listed on the title and obtain legal ownership.

Brer Rabbit said:
Ur brother is risking an arrest for PSMV or Posession of Stolen Motor Vehicle. Certainly wont be a conviction in court but who the hell wants to get locked up for anything at all. He needs to find the original owner listed on the title and obtain legal ownership.

No he's not. The car was legally confiscated by the shop in PA to satisfy a debt and was issued a salvage title by the State of Pennsylvania. The car is not stolen, it shows up as abandoned on the title. We had to go through the normal rebuiild procedures as if it was a collision total. Once a 'clean' title was issued in PA it was transferred to NJ. It's 100% legit.

Jim

turbojimmy said:
No he's not. The car was legally confiscated by the shop in PA to satisfy a debt and was issued a salvage title by the State of Pennsylvania. The car is not stolen, it shows up as abandoned on the title. We had to go through the normal rebuiild procedures as if it was a collision total. Once a 'clean' title was issued in PA it was transferred to NJ. It's 100% legit.

Jim
Slowww down......... Brer was talking to the originator of the post.....not you .... :wink:

I think he's right Jim. I was fooled at first first too because the original thread and your post both mention "my brother" and a P.A. car. Anyhow, you never know, The original owner could try to reclaim mine someday. Legally, it won't do him any good though.

Alls anybody has to do is file a lein against the car with the county clerk. It works this way in almost any jurisidiction in the country. I have tow companies that know the routine inside and out. Usually after 30 days the vehicle becomes the property of who ever files the lein. Thats how the real money is made. Go to jail under a DUI or other felony and you cant make bail and no one pays to get your car out of impound than you can bet that 30 days later your car is for sale down at the impound lot. Its pure profit for the professionals.

Update.... The guy must have drove by and saw his car was gone. Anyway somebody (the guy?) broke in the garage and stole the homeowners riding mower. So homeowner wants to call the cops but not sure if she did the right thing by giving the car away. She calls my brother in law, tells him to bring the car back before she calls cops. He brings it back. She thought if she said give me my mower back heres your car she'd get her mower back. Well the guy got his car back and denied stealing the mower. I think there's a stakeout going on tonight to see if he brings it back. :rolleyes:

BandAid said:
Slowww down......... Brer was talking to the originator of the post.....not you .... :wink:

Sorry. The OP was talking about his brother in law. I was talking about my brother. Brer said 'ur brother'.

Jim