AAAAAaaarrrgggg! Changed plugs now the car pops and sputters under boost

DaySleeper

I planned on going to the track and trying out the new transbrake but now the car pops and sputters on boost. I change the plugs from 23's with .028 gap to 24's with .032 gap just today. Is that possibly causing the problem??

I showed O2 around 200 and timing retard a whopping 17!! The fuel pressure is great and the the car idles nicely.

It did this crap right after I invited practically everyone I know to got to the track with me :rolleyes:

I'm going back to 23's tomorrow. Car ran badass with those but didn't idle as nice. Oh well. Gotta give something to get something says my wife

Perhaps you trashed a plug wire?

How much boost are you running? High boost will blow out the spark under a high gap scenario.

Its funny, if I throttle it and stay below 20...no problem. We'll see tomorrow when I change them again. I noticed while changing the plugs that the heads are clamped down with studs instead of torque to yield bolts. The dude that put this car together did a nice job.

Certainly possible but the car idles great so I don't think that's it. Going back to a fresh set of 23's with less gap and see what happens.

Don't you love how one thing always leads to another? It's like some type of turbo Buick curse.

Hope it's as simple as spark plugs.

RL

sounds like plug gap to me. I had same issue. car would pop like crazy over 21#. regapped plugs and 23# all day...