A warning about some car care products

Hacksaw

Wow, that stuff should be banned from manufacture like R-12.

Anyone know if there's any off the shelf cleaners that have hydrofluoric acid in them?

Many years ago when i was doing auto detail, I was too lazy to wear gloves using that stuff to remove water spots on a car....30 min later the first thin layer of skin on my hands peeled off into a goo. Stung like hell.:mad:

Wow, that stuff should be banned from manufacture like R-12.

Anyone know if there's any off the shelf cleaners that have hydrofluoric acid in them?

Yep, Just look on the back label. Many of them list it. Eagle One is one of them. It list hf acid, phosphoric acid, and sulfuric acid as ingredients on some of it's wheel clearner products. Some of them list all three in one product.

Thats what the (touch-less) carwash uses but yet everybody thinks its best thing in the world. :rolleyes:

Hydrofluoric can really do a number on you. We use it for masonry restoration to remove industrial fallout stains from 100 year old brick where other cleaners don't make a dent. As stated you can dip your hand in it and not feel a thing initially, in fact vinegar will sting more. The problem is it goes right in and keeps working without neutralizing like other acids. I got some on my hands once and took my time rinsing them off. For 2 days my fingers felt like someone was hammering needles into the bones and nothing helped the pain.

Yep, Just look on the back label. Many of them list it. Eagle One is one of them. It list hf acid, phosphoric acid, and sulfuric acid as ingredients on some of it's wheel clearner products. Some of them list all three in one product.

Thanks, yeah you're right I just checked the Eagle One etching mag cleaner I have for the turbine fin rims....yes all 3 of what you mentioned are in it. :eek:

It does get the rims pretty clean though.

Eagle 1 Chrome Cleaner has like 4 different acids... Works great! Just wear some gloves...:cool:

Yes, I think it should be banned for consumer use. People still get burned by it in industrial use if not careful.

I've seen it listed in rust removers, & one toilet bowl cleaner.

Ammonium bifluoride is basically the same stuff. I've seen it in a fiberglass cleaner!:eek:

If you get it on you, rinse it for 15 minutes in running water. BUT; You still need to go to the ER for treatment. There is a gel (calcium gluconate) that needs to be put on ASAP. If you wait, then they may need to do multiple calcium gluconate injections into the affected area. :mad:

Or, maybe even surgery to remove dead tissue. Yet, often it is not felt at first as being any different than water.

Yup, bad stuff that is. I actually worked in a major HF plant lol. It's got to be the most horrible chemical out there. It's the only acid that will destroy glass. And diamonds too. Though, are you sure it's in the touchless carwashes? Cuz I use those all the time :(