A Turbo Buick What?

Texas gn

I have one that I will add. A long, long time ago in 1987 my buddy and I were riding around in Atlanta Georgia and I was looking for a used car because I had just totaled my previous one. If you were wondering it was a beautiful 84 Hurst/olds:frown:….yea I know…. but I was 18 at the time. Anyways after looking at several dealerships I found a used silver 85 Monte Carlo SS…. I told the sales rep “that was the one for me” and I would go to the bank and get the down payment. We left the dealership and on the way to the bank we passed another dealership and I just happen to see the hood of a black car in the corner of my eye. Wow what was that! We turned around and it was an 86 T-type black and silver. It had 7,000 miles on it and it cost 12K. I was not leaving that car behind! Ok…on to the kill.

I pulled it up to the local hang out on a Friday night and it was no time when these two guys in a brand new red 87 corvette made the comment “there is no way those things can run like they say” “ It’s a *#@$* Buick” he was referring to the Car and Driver article that had just came out that month. I knew the car was fast because the sales rep was very, very upset at me after the test drive.(he said something about loose screws and they will give a license to anyone now days) Anyways, with a little pressure.... i mean help from my friends, we line them up behind the high school (it had a ½ mile straight shot to the bypass around the city) I had no idea that you needed to build boost back then so the 87vette had the hole shot by a full car length.(did I mention that everyone at the hangout was watching from the finish line….everyone) My Buick started to pull and began to reel him in… still remember my buddy yelling go, go go out the T-tops…and the look on the drivers face in the Vette. He had that “my car must be broke look”! By the time I was at the end of the quarter I was 1full car length ahead.

Then it happen….. I saw a shiny refection in the distance on the bypass, I knew exactly what it was, Yep it was the Highway patrol watching the whole thing to. Oh #$%^ I was going way to fast to hit the park brake and sling the car around (I was real good at that back then) anyways the Vette was behind me as well and that would of cause a wreck. So I broke left and the Vette broke right and the cop started chasing me. To make a long story short I now have high regards for the radio and the interceptor engines in police cars. It wasn’t long after that I was living in Tennessee so I could drive again.. in my newly used Grand Am….pos.

I must say that I am much more responsible now that I turned 43. I always look around first before I turn my 87 Grand National loose! LOL:)

Very nice.

I remember the streets in 86-87, I was 25 and already married but still would roam the steets from time to time. I drove a 70GS350 at the time. I never raced much but sure watched a lot.

I guess the big dog in my neighborhood at the time was an black and gold Mustang with a 351 maybe an early 80's I think? Didn't see to many TR's around and of course not many people knew what they were.

One of my old roommates did finally take down that Stang though with a 68 Impala 427 with a huge 671 blower coming out of the engine bay. lol It had no hood, it would'nt fit. :D

fast86gn said:
One of my old roommates did finally take down that Stang though with a 68 Impala 427 with a huge 671 blower coming out of the engine bay. lol It had no hood, it would'nt fit.... :D

.... :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg0ViQdjd6I[/youtube]

Thats cool. That looks like a '66? His was a red '68 without the laundry. :D

His was a street car but guess that one is too :eek:

.... :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg0ViQdjd6I[/youtube]

Ha...:biggrin:
On mothers Day a few years back I was up in San Jose visiting my Mom.
We ent out for a Mothers Day brunch. While we were standing in front of the restaurant waiting for our table, I hear a monster idle just like that coming through the parking lot. Turn around and there's this guy...couldn't have been more than 20 years old, driving this awesome looking and sounding blown big block Ford Coupe through the parking lot looking for a space...gets it parked...runs into the grocery....comes back out a few minutes later with a 6 pack, fires her back up and heads home.:biggrin:
I was thinking...aint no way that kid owns that thing....Daddy must be out of town and the dummy is driving his hot rod around instead of his beat up Honda.

The only thing better than a good kill, is when it's well told.

Nice job on both. Thanks for posting this. It's been a long day and I needed a smile.:)

Mike Barnard