A/R question

03FatBoy

Just a general question... I have a TE44 and the compressor housing is marked AR .60. Most I have seen or heard about are .63 what is the difference, and what is desireable, or makes it desireable? Always learning here!

Thanks

Compressor covers, just like turbine housings, have their own A/R number.
The TO4E style or E series compressor cover (3" inlet, 2" discharge) have a .60 A/R rating.

TO4E cover.
CCE62b.jpg

When you hear these numbers, .63 A/R and .85 A/R thrown around, typically people are referring to the turbine housings A/R number. See this turbine housing pic below.

THB Buick .63 A/R turbine housing.

THBARLOCATION.jpg

Typically, the higher the A/R number on the turbine housing, the more stall requirements for spool up. As well as having a higher rpm power band. 95% of street driven Turbo Buicks are happy running the .63 A/R turbine housings. It's when you throw on heads and a cam, that the .85 A/R housing is recommended.

With regards to A/R numbers on the compressor covers, the 3 style covers that we offer for the Buicks, have their own A/R numbers.

E cover = .60 A/R
S cover = .70 A/R
H cover = .75 A/R

The main differences when it comes to compressor cover A/Rs, is mainly to do with charge temps at high boost levels. EX: a Billet 6765 turbo with an E cover, run at 30psi, is going to have a lot higher charge temp vs the same turbo with an H cover. This difference in charge temps at this level, could be worth 10-15hp. But irregardless of extra hp, I would much rather have the cooler charge temps, than have to tax the intercooler that much more.
Hope this helps a little.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick, very informative. My GN is more of a crusing/hobby car than any kind of race car... so at this point, the outlet temperature is not much of an issue I assume.