A quick tour of my modifications. Pics.

toomanymodz

I figured I'd post up some pics of the mods that I've made over the years. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, here are a bunch of pics. That's one thing I love about these Turbo Buicks, is the abundance of performance pieces out there. Some good stuff!

TA Performance rear girdle. HR Parts rear bar. QA1 single adjustable shocks. Pypes exhaust.
Buick_Modz 004.JPG

Racetronix double pumper (in tank). Visible are the dual relays and heavy ground wires. The black bar is custom welded to frame brackets, which tie the rear frame together. I would consider it a mandatory mod when running a fiberglass rear bumper. And still helpful with a steel bumper.
Buick_Modz 001.JPG

A close-up of that bar welded to a frame bracket.
Buick_Modz 002.JPG

An adjustable upper control arm where it meets the frame. Notice the gusset for added strength.
Buick_Modz 005.JPG

Oops, hit the wrong button. Will continue the pics......

A picture of the lower control arm bracket, where the lower control arm meets the frame. Notice the gusset for added strength.
Buick_Modz 017.JPG

UMI Performance bar that ties the shock brackets together. I imagine this is most helpful for cars designed for heavy cornering, but I added it anyways.
Buick_Modz 011.JPG

A pic of the UMI Performance bar running in front of the gas tank.
Buick_Modz 010.JPG

A mandatory mod...the rear seat braces.
Buick_Modz 013.JPG

Let's continue the tour....

Metco loop and a Denny's Nitro series driveshaft with 1350 series U-Joints and billet yokes.
Buick_Modz 018.JPG

A Janis 2004R, deep pan and the small wire is for a trans temp gauge.
Buick_Modz 019.JPG

Bracing that ties the front frame sections. A mandatory mod for any auto-cross car.
Buick_Modz 025.JPG

Looking under the front, you can see the external finned-aluminum trans cooler. It dropped my trans temp by 30 degrees.
Buick_Modz 027.JPG

An Alradco aluminum radiator and their dual Spal fan kit. This keeps the engine cool in the hot Florida sun.
Buick_Modz 028.JPG

A billet 'turbo-saver' oil filter, which provides filtered oil to the turbo. In the event of an engine failure, the turbo won't get debris pumped into it.
Buick_Modz 024.JPG

Original-appearing GN wheels. They look like the originals, but weigh 10 pounds lighter, each wheel. So a 40 pound savings for you!
Buick_Modz 029.JPG

A standard dual-gauge pillar pod. A boost gauge and knock indicator should be standard in all of our cars.
Buick_Modz 014.JPG

Getting a little fancy. A pioneer 1.5 DIN receiver. Buick tach, oil pressure and trans temp gauges. Laptop with stand. The buttons are: line lock, Bailey's 2-step master arm switch, and the toggle is to engage the 2nd cooling fan.
Buick_Modz 015.JPG

A 'tinman' cold air kit. The relay is for the 2nd cooling fan. The hobbs switch is the engage the second fuel pump at 15 psi boost.
Buick_Modz 020.JPG

The Racetronix double pumper fuel pump came with a very good hot-wire harness, which connects to the alternator.
Buick_Modz 021.JPG

And an upgraded battery ground wire.
Buick_Modz 022.JPG

So many modz, so little time. Another project is my 66 Malibu. I just pulled the 283 and I'm building a hot little 327 with ported double hump heads. It should make around 350 HP. It's a cruiser and I'll be happy with a 14 sec quarter mile.
Buick_Modz 012b.jpg

Thanks guys! The next mods (in no particular order) are: SD2 chip, 30 spline axles, Eaton posi or Detroit Locker (still debating), cage or strengthen frame (debating this too), T/A aluminum engine (Don Cruz is building for me), and who knows what else. The wallet is pretty empty.

Get an Eaton Detroit Locker, that's what I run in my Chris Alston's Chassisworks Fab 9 rearend with 3.70s, and am always fully gripping. In a straight line, it captures and transfers 100% of the torque to both wheels. Through turns/maneuvers, it has the unique ability to unlock allowing one wheel to spin faster or slower as needed. Then, it'll automatically reengage itself again when you return to straight line driving, providing power back to both wheels.

A Detroit Locker provides maximum traction to both wheels and has proven/validated performance and durability with maintenance free parts. For the ultimate pavement pounding performance and the strongest, most durable performance differential(pretty much bullet-proof), you can't beat a Detroit Locker. Just make sure you go the full carrier and not the little drop in locker.

Attachments

• 1446406400723.jpg
    1446406400723.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 1446406422110.jpg
    1446406422110.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Need to look into the rear cross brace. Does anyone sell those? I see a few things I need to do to my car. My diff cover bolts look like hell so i need to address that. Also I like the shock tower brace but not sure it will fit with my current setup. I'll look into that.