A quick guide to taking car pictures

Whut

Addicted to Boost!
Below I will try to give some pointers on how to take pictures of a car. This is intended to give you an idea of how to frame or stage a shot. After reading this I hope some of you will purposely go out just to take pictures of your car. If you are at a show or end up parking someplace really cool then maybe this thread will help you choose your angle.

If you are looking to get a great shot of your car, leave your cell phone in your pocket. I know there are some phones out there that have 5+ megapixel cameras in them. The big drawback of these cameras is the fact that the lens is not covered and therefore is made of plastic and prone to getting cloudy. If you live in or around a decent size city you should be able to find at least one camera store that rents cameras. This is good, you can rent a $2,000 camera and a $3,000 lens for less than $100. I hate to say it but better cameras simply take better pictures, even if you don’t.

First things first, pose your car like you would pose a child for a photograph. If you take a picture from the normal ¾ view make sure your front wheels are turn the opposite direction of the camera, below are an example of right and wrong.

1.jpg

This is how the shot should look, with the wheels turned to show off the rim. It adds a cleaner line to the overall look of the image.

2.jpg

There are two things wrong here, the wheels are turned wrong which adds a black tire to an otherwise nice car shot and the tire is not brushed off. So now there is a dirty tire sticking right out in front.

When posing the car there is more to it than just the tires. The back drop and where the sun is can make or break a shot. Over exposed images are bright and washed out and can really take away from your car.

Here is an example of an over exposed picture.

3.JPG

The image above is so blown out most wouldn’t even know that is a black car.

Lighting seems to be an issue as well. If the sun is high in the sky and there are virtually no shadows then shoot at any angle you like. If the sun is low try to shoot without getting a long shadow in the picture unless you are intending for the shadow to be the focal point of the image.

Never shoot with the sun to your face, this will almost always wash out the image or add huge glare. Shoot with the sun to your back, you can pose the car in a way to get the shot without the sun being the back drop.

Be aware of your surroundings, parking lots can make good surroundings if they are empty and not full of poles. Nature is also a common surrounding but trees and bushes can steal focus. There are a couple of issues that can happen with a poorly selected angle or surrounding. Your car can appear to have a tree or pole growing out of it or the objects can steal focus. Here are a couple of examples showing this.

4.jpg

The bush stole the focus! Move about a foot and get this instead.

5.jpg

There is a tree growing out of my car!

6.jpg

Here is something that really bothers me, having a sign or pole or anything that can be avoided in front of the car.

7.jpg

Surroundings should be chosen wisely. A large city backdrop can actually take away from the car. It may look great while standing there but the skyline of the city will take center stage or if the shot is tight to the car the backdrop will be a bunch of half buildings. It’s good to stick to a wall or an expanse like a hill or something that brings depth like train tracks going under the car or something along those lines.

If you want a picture of your car at a car show or IN the car show then try your best to get the whole car. Make sure there are no signs in front of it, people, other cars, or anything like that. If the car is parked up tight to other cars then wait until the show is over or the cars next to you move, or, until its empty enough to move the car to a suitable spot for the shot. One more note about car shows, close the hood, so many car shots with the hood up but the angle of the image doesn’t even show the motor. I have heard about this from a lot of people, put the hood down, our Buicks spend too much time with them open in the first place.

Positioning of yourself is important. Not every shot has to be from a ground up angle but at least try and get all four tires in the shot. Notice a shot of a straight ¾ view of the car. It will look like a peg-leg or better explained it will look like it has three wheels.

Oop’s

8.jpg

Much better, all wheels are seen giving the car a better stance.

9.jpg

10.jpg

If in low light situations such as dusk or night shots you will most certainly need a tri-pod or something sturdy to set the camera on. If you rented a camera and planned on doing night shots you should have also rented a remote trigger. This brings up another point, most cameras do not need 100 lbs of pressure to push the button. The lighter you push the button the less your camera will move. In low light situations, even with a tri-pod you can still end up with blurry pictures simply from pressing to hard.

Here is an example of a night shot ruined by a heavy hand.

11.JPG

And how the shot can look with a lighter touch.

12.jpg

This also applies to indoor shots, like car shows at convention centers or in someone’s giant garage. Indoor lighting can do one thing for a car, cover up some blemishes.

One thing to note about shooting a car indoors, if the light is ambient like overhead lights very high on the ceiling do not use a flash. It will wash out the shot in another way and make reflectors shine while the rest of the car is dark as night. You want to treat an indoor picture much like a night picture, along with not using a flash its best to use a tripod or something solid to set the camera on.

13.JPG

14.JPG

Sometimes you want to take a picture of just a part of the car. It’s important to also frame that shot so it doesn’t look like a sloppy shot of the whole car. Angling this style of picture absurdly (in my opinion) takes away from them. I like to keep these images square or add only a slight angle to maintain focus on the item I am shooting.

Here is an example of part images.

Close ups are good to keep the focus like this.

15.JPG

16.jpg

If you have a DSLR camera then think about getting a portrait macro lens. This style of lens keeps a tight focal point and blurs out the background to keep the shot clear and directly at what you want.

17.JPG

18.jpg

For normal shots of front ends or other parts of the car, its best to try and keep it focused. Get in close to take the shot.

19.jpg

20.JPG

One thing to note, and this is especially the case with front end shots, clean your car! I make this mistake myself, take some pictures only see dead bee’s stuck in my intercooler or guts from numerous bugs on my grille fins. Do your best to clean up the car for the shot and in the case of rock chips or other small blemishes, well, be like a magazine photographer and photoshop them out.

Look at this shot, I was trying to capture how dark my interior is in this picture.

21.jpg

Notice the water lines coming out of my mirror? Some people may not even pay enough attention to notice this but it bugs me as it takes away from the rest of the shot. Get handy with a clone brush or background eraser and you can make that image look like this.

22.jpg

Subtle yes, but it sure does clean the image up.

Now on to models, this is where I will stop as I am not a pro photographer and I already feel like I am tooting my own horn to much.

When choosing someone to model with the car you have a decision to make, give most of the focus to the model or to the car. Both can be cool and there are ways to incorporate them both to bring equal focus.

Posing the models is important, bending over with an ass hanging out the window is not a good pose. If you have nice rims, put them in a nice pose by a wheel. If you don’t mind butt marks on the hood, put them there. Keep high heels or anything like that off the car, to car guys this can steal focus and move the conversation to people asking you why you let someone with five inch steel stilettos sit on the roof of your car. Leaning on the car, bending over looking at something, laying across the hood, or sitting in the car, these are good ways to pose models for a car shoot.

This would be a nice shot if the garbage cans were not in the background. If I were to print this I would remove them. This is showing focus on the models.

23.jpg

This is also showing focus on the models.

24.jpg

25.JPG

Here is a shot with equal focus, the girls are posed to put the focus on the car. I misplaced the actual shot for this. The one girl is not yawning as the other image would show. She is attempting to show shock while the other is pointing at the turbo.

26.jpg

And a shot with most of the focus on the car.

27.jpg

Hopefully this has given you some idea of how to take a well staged photo of your car. Feel free to add suggestions, example images you think are good, or some tried and true tips and tricks. I am always looking to learn new ways to take pictures and hope this has been helpful.

One last thing, you have a digital camera, take tons of pictures. Its been said (somewhere) that out of 50 shots, maybe 5 will be great so mess with the settings on the camera and different angles. You will find a setting or an angle you are fond of and can build off that.

Happy shooting! :cool:

A couple more tips...

- when shooting pictures from the side or 3/4 view, leave your windows up

- think about turning on parking lights, or headlights for some shots as well

A couple more tips...

- when shooting pictures from the side or 3/4 view, leave your windows up

- think about turning on parking lights, or headlights for some shots as well

Good tips, I usually forget to roll the windows up if its hot out. :eek:

Parking lights will usually make any low light shot look that much better.

Great tips so far.:cool:

Is it best to shoot an outdoor shot in the sun, or when its cloudy?

Got any tips about an indoor car shot? (Meaning in a garage or the like)

Great tips so far.:cool:

Is it best to shoot an outdoor shot in the sun, or when its cloudy?

Got any tips about an indoor car shot? (Meaning in a garage or the like)

It depends on the surroundings, if there are a lot of objects that can reflect, or if you want a shot in snow, then overcast is the best. If there is nothing around that can reflect the sun and cause a glare then sunny is fine. Any point and shoot camera will have a white balance menu that usually defaults to "Auto". You can play around with this and see what works best for you.

I have some tips on shooting indoors in earlier posts but I can say again, use a tripod or put your camera on something sturdy to keep the shot clear. Do not use a flash, but if the ambient light is not up to par then find some flood lights or pick up a cheap set of umbrella lights to help light the area.

Below I will try to give some pointers on how to take pictures of a car. This is intended to give you an idea of how to frame or stage a shot. After reading this I hope some of you will purposely go out just to take pictures of your car. If you are at a show or end up parking someplace really cool then maybe this thread will help you choose your angle.

If you are looking to get a great shot of your car, leave your cell phone in your pocket. I know there are some phones out there that have 5+ megapixel cameras in them. The big drawback of these cameras is the fact that the lens is not covered and therefore is made of plastic and prone to getting cloudy. If you live in or around a decent size city you should be able to find at least one camera store that rents cameras. This is good, you can rent a $2,000 camera and a $3,000 lens for less than $100. I hate to say it but better cameras simply take better pictures, even if you don’t.

First things first, pose your car like you would pose a child for a photograph. If you take a picture from the normal ¾ view make sure your front wheels are turn the opposite direction of the camera, below are an example of right and wrong.

1.jpg

This is how the shot should look, with the wheels turned to show off the rim. It adds a cleaner line to the overall look of the image.

2.jpg

There are two things wrong here, the wheels are turned wrong which adds a black tire to an otherwise nice car shot and the tire is not brushed off. So now there is a dirty tire sticking right out in front.

Positioning of yourself is important. Not every shot has to be from a ground up angle but at least try and get all four tires in the shot. Notice a shot of a straight ¾ view of the car. It will look like a peg-leg or better explained it will look like it has three wheels.

Oop’s

8.jpg

Much better, all wheels are seen giving the car a better stance.

9.jpg

10.jpg

You didn't follow your first rule in the last pic and turn wheel in to show the rim and not the tire. :eek: But it's ok they all still look good. And some very useful advice. Now i just need a picture worthy TR as mine is faded and needs a repaint.

what pixel camera did you take those with whut? this oughta be a sticky. theres some excellent tips here. specially with how to aim the tires and such. and your not kidding about model placement and pose. i got on this big kick last year to take a ton of pics with some of the girls i've dated and my gn's, and your right, out of a hundred pics, i might get 5 that i like:mad: specially when the girls have never modeled wit a car before. its always easier to just say "act sleazy" or "just get naked" cuz those pics are going to be good no matter what, lol. i had a friend of mine whos a very good photograher take most of them while i just directed as its much easier to just worry about one job instead of both, plus, he has some killer mega pixel camera. however, the problem that i have is when trying to upload to sites like this, i've got to downsize them so much they start getting all pixelated. he says he can fix that for me but i need to stop by his place sometime and grab my jumpdrive from him.
i posted a few pics from my first stab at taking pics with a gal and my gn's, and anybody thats seen them knows i failed miserably cause of cell phone camera. however, give it some light, and they come out way better. this pic was taken my first little outside shoot i did with my cell phone, and i really like the way they look, just maybe the clarity isn't there. i'll post one here. quality wise, what issues would you point out? how did you get your pics so clear, assuming you have some high pixel camera? is the high pixel count really that important for clarity? or is it the quality of the camera in general?

Nice picture. Too bad the seam on your model's bottoms doesn't line up, not that I was looking at that area.:tongue:

One thing to note, and this is especially the case with front end shots, clean your car! I make this mistake myself, take some pictures only see dead bee’s stuck in my intercooler or guts from numerous bugs on my grille fins. Do your best to clean up the car for the shot and in the case of rock chips or other small blemishes, well, be like a magazine photographer and photoshop them out.

Look at this shot, I was trying to capture how dark my interior is in this picture.

21.jpg

Notice the water lines coming out of my mirror? Some people may not even pay enough attention to notice this but it bugs me as it takes away from the rest of the shot. Get handy with a clone brush or background eraser and you can make that image look like this.

22.jpg

Subtle yes, but it sure does clean the image up.

Now on to models, this is where I will stop as I am not a pro photographer and I already feel like I am tooting my own horn to much.

When choosing someone to model with the car you have a decision to make, give most of the focus to the model or to the car. Both can be cool and there are ways to incorporate them both to bring equal focus.

Posing the models is important, bending over with an ass hanging out the window is not a good pose. If you have nice rims, put them in a nice pose by a wheel. If you don’t mind butt marks on the hood, put them there. Keep high heels or anything like that off the car, to car guys this can steal focus and move the conversation to people asking you why you let someone with five inch steel stilettos sit on the roof of your car. Leaning on the car, bending over looking at something, laying across the hood, or sitting in the car, these are good ways to pose models for a car shoot.

This would be a nice shot if the garbage cans were not in the background. If I were to print this I would remove them. This is showing focus on the models.

23.jpg

This is also showing focus on the models.

24.jpg

25.JPG

Here is a shot with equal focus, the girls are posed to put the focus on the car. I misplaced the actual shot for this. The one girl is not yawning as the other image would show. She is attempting to show shock while the other is pointing at the turbo.

26.jpg

And a shot with most of the focus on the car.

27.jpg

Hopefully this has given you some idea of how to take a well staged photo of your car. Feel free to add suggestions, example images you think are good, or some tried and true tips and tricks. I am always looking to learn new ways to take pictures and hope this has been helpful.

One last thing, you have a digital camera, take tons of pictures. Its been said (somewhere) that out of 50 shots, maybe 5 will be great so mess with the settings on the camera and different angles. You will find a setting or an angle you are fond of and can build off that.

Happy shooting! :cool:

Yep all helpfull BUT I see 2 things wrong.. FUGLY BACKGROUND BRICK BUILDINGS. & dent in your hood from someone lying on it.. I would skip those 2 tits I mean tips :p

Nice picture. Too bad the seam on your model's bottoms doesn't line up, not that I was looking at that area.:tongue:

lol! gotta love a cheapy swimsuit. i say we just photoshop a "bulls eye" right there and be done with it :biggrin:

Thanks for the lesson.
I am guilty as heck for crappy shots.

May be If my car and models looked as nice as yours I would at least TRY to take better shots. :cool:

what pixel camera did you take those with whut? this oughta be a sticky. theres some excellent tips here. specially with how to aim the tires and such. and your not kidding about model placement and pose. i got on this big kick last year to take a ton of pics with some of the girls i've dated and my gn's, and your right, out of a hundred pics, i might get 5 that i like:mad: specially when the girls have never modeled wit a car before. its always easier to just say "act sleazy" or "just get naked" cuz those pics are going to be good no matter what, lol. i had a friend of mine whos a very good photograher take most of them while i just directed as its much easier to just worry about one job instead of both, plus, he has some killer mega pixel camera. however, the problem that i have is when trying to upload to sites like this, i've got to downsize them so much they start getting all pixelated. he says he can fix that for me but i need to stop by his place sometime and grab my jumpdrive from him.
i posted a few pics from my first stab at taking pics with a gal and my gn's, and anybody thats seen them knows i failed miserably cause of cell phone camera. however, give it some light, and they come out way better. this pic was taken my first little outside shoot i did with my cell phone, and i really like the way they look, just maybe the clarity isn't there. i'll post one here. quality wise, what issues would you point out? how did you get your pics so clear, assuming you have some high pixel camera? is the high pixel count really that important for clarity? or is it the quality of the camera in general?

I have a Canon 20D, Rebel XT, and a Sigma SD9. I have a few different lenses I use depending on how close or far away I am physically and how close I want to get to the subject.

When I say a better camera takes better pictures, even if you dont. I mean it. When I got the 20D I had no clue what to do as I had just had old Kodak point and shoot cameras in the past. Even the very first pictures I took of my car with that camera came out better than most of the P&S shots I took before.

When taking high resolution pictures that you will ultimately use on the internet and not for printing just turn the resolution down and if resizing is still needed (I mainly shoot images for the web at only 2 MP and resize 50%) use a program with options for resizing. Choose Bicubic resampling to help avoid the image getting pixelated.

As for your picture, I would have not had her wiping the hood from that angle. You should have shot that 3/4 over head instead. If you want the ass/crotch to be the focus then have her just bend over.

Oh, and I know I messed up on the tire angle of some of my shots, I am not perfect either. ;)

As for the models on the car, do this at your own risk. I took those pictures only because the guy that owned that car WANTED tit and ass marks on his hood. He posts here from time to time (T3Intercooled I think).

As for background, to each their own, I prefer urban shots over nature shots. Big brick buildings with character, back alleys, old garages, stuff like that. The pictures I took with the models was seriously limited because it was at Car Craft Summer Nationals, hence the tiara the hotter one is wearing. That place is so crowded we had to find a place off the side to do it without having a bunch of other cars in the shot. Like I said, if I were to use those I would remove the dumpsters and hoses from the pictures. I basically got a favor from Car Craft to do those as I took care of Ms. Car Crafts leg when she burned the crap out of it getting off a motorcycle. :)

This would be a nice shot if the garbage cans were not in the background.

23.jpg
I only noticed the cans in the foreground :biggrin:

Great tips! You'd think some of this would be common sense when trying to take that "perfect" pic, but background makes 100% of the pic alot of times.
I perfer either natural backgrounds like forest, trees, lake etc. Or something odd.... Once did a photo shoot of my GN in downtown, drove it up on the side walk and parked it next to the base of a mirrored glass skyscraper, and then next to some steel art sculpture..cops drove by, never said a thing, were great shots, wished I had some digital versions of them..but that was 15 years ago.

Tonight I was trying to take some shots of my car. I'm not sure if these are ok by your standards but I'd like your opinion???

Image125.jpg

Image126.jpg

DSCF0382.JPG

Oh, look at that garbage can and the tree coming out of the roof on these pictures! :eek:

Image129.jpg

Image122.jpg