A question for you all.....

jamier

ok here's my problem It just started last week after bringing the car to the shop to fix a rear brake line, I don't think the problem has anything to do with the repair. The car was driving and running great all scan #brs right on the money and the car is in good health and tune. After bringing it in to fix a driverside brakeline maby a day later the car started running sluggish, by this I mean spurting/ surging while driving almost like it's missing, stalling at idle, some backfiring at cruise, the cause is unknown to me. I did notice the volt light /alternater dummy light has also been coming on spuratically. I did throw a belt about a month ago, the alternator pully had come loose and threw the belt while I was driving home from the states. could the alternator be damaged causing the problem??? My scanmaster # is about 13.4 - 13.7 on the volts if i remember before it was 14.2 not sure tho... my original thought was it might be a coil pack but like I said not sure. plugs are relativally new sisnce i changed the motor this summer wires are a bit older but in good health. all grounds seem ok but havent checked for wiring under the car yet. any suggestions please let me know thanks all....

could be the alternator. does it change voltage sometimes really low?

volts

lowest i saw on the volts is 12.7 while driving gona check in the morning if i have a spare and try to swap it as a precaution.

u could always check the MAF by hitting it and seeing if the engine bogs any! one of the five stockers that i had fail on me was doing what u r describing, bucking and missing under load, two others failed by running crappy and stalling at idle, that can be checked by unpluggin the sensor and seeing if the idle improves and stabilizes. hth

more info

yea i checked the maf by swapping it with another, im using a trans + unit with a ls1 maf still the same after swapping the maf changed the alternator this morn volts are back up to 14.2 but still problem just idling the car wants to stall out. surging is still there too. I watched the fuel pres guage while it was at idle and noticed it was bouncing a bit but it was going up not down, could it possibly be the pump on its way out?? I was driving home dangerously low the other week, no gas stations were open on the back road I was on. Just hoping i didn't burn the pump but i took it easy and cruised it till i found a station, car was fine after but like I stated before just suddenly started to act up, Im putting it away soon for winter but would like to fix the gremlins before i do. thanks for the replies so far. I also checked the vac. lines which all seem fine.. thanks again.

If it was running fine before you brought it to the shop and the next day it is running like crap, they might have 'tested' the brake line repair a little too aggressively.

If it was running fine before you brought it to the shop and the next day it is running like crap, they might have 'tested' the brake line repair a little too aggressively.

What do your numbers look like on the ScanMaster? I would look at every little thing and start eliminating things that are ok.

The alternator could be the culprit, also is if the coil pack is bad,boost will always more the likely uncover a weak ignition [coil pack}one of my first 87s that I had, had the same problem,turned out to be the coil pack,put a voltmeter to the pack and it read fine but the car stumbled and ideled funny,when you got to about 10lbs boost it would pop and backfire.is car poping or noseing over under boost?

problem solved thanks all

it ended up being a mixture of the coil pack and a line going from the pack to the trans + , the line responsible for the ign advance/retard. the line had a brake in it. swapped the pack with a spare and re soldered the line and went honda hunting thanks again for the responses

it ended up being a mixture of the coil pack and a line going from the pack to the trans + , the line responsible for the ign advance/retard. the line had a brake in it. swapped the pack with a spare and re soldered the line and went honda hunting thanks again for the responses

Glad to hear that you found it.