a question about a factory valve cover

MY85pontiac

im too old for this crap!
the 4.1 i have is a rebuild motor and on the left valve cover, stamped into it is "149", what does that mean???? its been bugging me for awhile and i have to know what its all about! did they not put on the right valve covers or what?

That's just a stamping number, which ID's the cover so the parts department can cross reference it to a part number. Just like a casting number on an intake.

The no-hole V6 cover is "416" I think.

really? because the number is on the driver side valve cover and not the passenger side. and the valve covers on my 85 dont have ANY numbers stamped into them. its no big deal to me i was just curious why these 1" tall numbers were on the valve cover.

at any rate i just repainted them after stripping them down to bare metal. they look so damn good now! its almost a shame they wont be seen most of the time. its my best painting job yet and they look wonderful! its just a rattle can job but krylon's rust tough enamel spray paint goes on very evenly and produces a very nice finish. after painting them i left them out in the sun for about 4 hours and they cured nicely. the GF hates it when i use the oven!!:D

thanks for the info.