A little run-in with a trailer hitch...

alopeks

Forever New
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this message should be in this forum or not, but it's the closest match I could find. Couple days ago I was in a small fender bender when the guy in front of me got cut off and slammed on his brakes. I didn't quite stop in time and nailed his trailer hitch (which was thankfully four inches lower than his bumper, or I'd be asking how to install a new radiator and grill), pushing my bumper and the impact absorber back about three inches on the driver's side. My question is two fold. First, can I pull the impact absorber back out (and if so, how?) or do I need a new one? Second, is this something that can be done by a shadetree mechanic with limited experience, tools, and funds, or should I have it done somewhere? As always, e-mail help is welcome.

alopeks

youduh@yahoo.com

They are designed for one-use only so you need to replace it. The good part is they are plentiful in the yards and should be darn cheap ($5?). All you need is a 13mm wrench or socket and then line up the bumper (have someone stand in front and tell you when it's level, you also loosen the other side a little). Hopefully this is all you need.