A few build questions 4.1 v 3.8

DragCamaro

Real-Keeper
Whats up everyone, Im planning on building up a turbo buick motor before too long and im just trying to gather some info.

Its going in a 95 roadmaster wagon

my goal is about 500 or so hp reliably.

I dont know much about 4.1s, if im starting from scratch is there any advantage to the larger motor other than displacement?
Or Should i stick with a 109 block?

I already planned on running a main girdle of some kind, What can i get away with thats strong and reliable on the rotating assembly thats factory? id like to have less than 2k in the bottom end not including machine work and gaskets and the inital cost of a block. (so basically the rotating assembly)

What head options are out there? i saw someone mention using fwd heads for a swap into an f body, ill do a few searches and see what i read, is there a good budget option out there? i planned on porting whatever heads i use myself. Aluminum would be a huge plus. Im sure i have heads from a later series 3.8 laying around but i dont believe they fit

Im at work right now and im sure im forgetting someting but this is a start, thanks for any help

go with the 4.1, do what you suggest for bottom end strength and just use the regular rwd heads. with some time spent in quality parts matching you can make 500 hp. wont be cheap... but is doable.

Grumpy runs a roadmaster with a 6 I believe.... pretty stout little wagon i hear.

Do it.

If you are starting from scratch the 4.1 wins hands down. I would even be tempted to do a stroker since the pistons will be custom anyway. No downsides IMO. If you shop aroundgood deals can be had on even alum heads. Really though with a 4.1L 500 hp is easy and xotic heads re probably not necessary. Don't over think it with the FWD stuff, it isn't necessary for your goals.

I'm working on that 'custom piston' thing with a piston manufacturer. With any luck there'll be some EB part numbers soon.