A dream come true for me

Bruce Urie

The Ventures,CCR forever!
Well, fellas, I've just GOT to share this with you! Yesterday I finally realized my dream to fly in a B25 Mitchell bomber! My God was it fantastic!

As you may know, (or not), my late Dad (the original owner of my '87 GN) flew the B25, B26, P38, P61s during WWII, and I've heard all about it for years and years from him. I used to catch Dad sitting on the couch and say, "Dad, fly the B25 right now, tell me how." With that, he'd go through the whole procedure on how to start, check the instruments, taxi, wind it up, build up oil pressure and take off, and long flying times every where.. All of his training procedures, flying experiences, all the accidents with them, I couldn't get enough of it. Dad's name with the class was Deadstick Urie, as he had landed so many Stearmans, SNJs and B25 with no engines, as being new, a lot quit in flight! He was able to get them all down without crashing, lots of them! I have his graduating class photo with all of his buddies in it, autographed by them, calling him "Deadstick Urie."

So, yesterday, my wife and I headed off to the airport in our old '69 Vette to see the air show. There was a B25 bomber there, and rides were available. We did arrive someone late, so, luckily I was the last to be able to buy a ride. Man, that was close.

I got to sit, I was told, in the best seat in the plane, right where the waist gunner and tail gunner sat. After take off, I was allowed to crawl all over the thing, forwards and back, at an altitude of 1600 feet. We flew over the Blue Ridge Moutains, and it was just beautiful!! The engines were so darn LOUD that I still have trouble hearing right now. The plane shook like a high performance race car! But the pilots piloted the thing like butter on ice, I mean those guys did great!!! I got to swing out the .50 caliber machine guns, and sit in the tail gunner position with a fantastic 360 degree view! Needless to say, at that position, I just lost it, cried like a baby, and somewhat embarrassed. I was carrying Dad's silver wings and his dog tags on this flight, as the last time they were flown was with him in 1943-1945. I just couldn't help it, I was bawling like I've never done before.

Maybe that was me missing him so much, I don't know. But it was the most thrilling thing happening to me since I was married to my wonderful wife, Shirley. Man, what a plane! It gave me such deep, deep appreciation of the guys who had to fly these things into combat. Very primative, very to the point, no luxury, no comfort at all, just a plane made to shoot and drop bombs, then return home. My God, the inside was like being in an aluminum can with machine guns! The stainless steel cables that ran to the rudders, alerons, tail fins just ran through the structural braces of the sides of the plane!!! I watched them move back and forth while the pilots were flying! I just couldn't get enough of it! I moved all through that plane during the whole flight, couldn't keep still.

Can you imagine being 19-21 years of age and going out to war like our Dads did? The only thing between you and the enemy is aluminum LESS than 1/16 inch thick!!! Man, think about it. It gave me such appreciation for these guys!

The only sad part for me was landing.....but I got to talk with the pilot and co pilot for quite a long time....they were such nice guys.

Of course, I HAD to make a mistake...while I was inside waiting for take off, I happen to mention a B25 that slammed into the mountian at Peaks of Otter in Virginia, on February 2, 1944, with the loss of five crew members. The plane is still there to this day!! Engines, props, everything! As I was telling this to a crewmember, he was looking at me strange. I said, "Whoa, is it bad luck to be talking about a crashed plane on this flight?" The way he looked at me confirmed that greatly. I then, wisely, shut my big mouth, thinking "Bruce, you are so darn stupid at times!" I've got to think first, THEN talk.

Finally, I got to experience somewhat of what Dad went through and was feeling when he was 19 years old and pilot of a B25 Mitchell bomber. I just had to share this with you fellas. I have to really stop now, I'm getting tears in my eyes just writing this. It just meant so darn much to me. I'll take this with me forever. Thanks for reading.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Great story Bruce. I had a similar event happen to myself a few years back. My grandfather was a navigator on the B-24 Liberator. He never liked to talk about those days too much....too painful due to losing so many friends! He died back in 03 and I never could get him to speak about those days.
I worked in aviation for many years and had the Commemorative Air Force come to town with their B-29 and 24. I did some work on the 29 and they could not pay for the work. I asked about a ride in the 24 and they obliged. I spoke with the crew before the flight about my grandfathers days in WWII, and his time in the 24. They offered me the navigator spot for our 45 minute flight and I too totally lost it in the moment.
That generation is leaving us so fast now. I make it a point to thank them at any opportunity for their service and sacrifices. My 12 years of Naval service was nothing compared to that generation!

The Warbirds was here in Nashua 2 weeks ago. That and the B17 were flying around right over my house. My son and I took the tour. Neat stuff.

Sweet but,....

Attachments

• This-thread-is-useless-without-pictures.gif
    This-thread-is-useless-without-pictures.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 161
Planes have always fascinated me. Well, A lot of things fascinate me but planes being the top 3. Glad you had such an experience! I would have loved to fly in one.

Godspeed
Nix

Here's some pictures of the B-25 I flew in last Saturday. Still have a high from it. That's me in the black Grand National sweatshirt being briefed.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Attachments

• DSC_0602.jpg
    DSC_0602.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0596.jpg
    DSC_0596.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0609.jpg
    DSC_0609.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0658.jpg
    DSC_0658.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0663.jpg
    DSC_0663.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 80
A few more. Such a beautiful airplane. Those pilots flew that thing like butter on ice. But so small on the inside, no standing up. I could touch both sides of the plane where I was sitting, no problem. The engines in sinc were the most beautiful LOUD sound in the world to me. Man, what a plane. 1,700 horsepower each. 10 gallons of oil for an oil change in each engine.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Attachments

• DSC_0606.jpg
    DSC_0606.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0607.jpg
    DSC_0607.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0611.jpg
    DSC_0611.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0613.jpg
    DSC_0613.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 82
Few more pictures for your pleasure....pretty plane, isn't it? But during the war they were all painted over that nice aluminum. The pilot/owner told me that it takes him 3 days, at 16 hours a day to polish that damn thing. He showed me a picture of him while polishing with a buffer....he was completely black.

We were obviously the last couple to leave that day, thanks to my refusal to leave and not watch all the planes depart....which shows my Vette in the middle of a soy bean field....that field was PACKED at the beginning of the air show. First time I've ever four-wheeled the Vette in a bean field....was lucky I didn't rip the side pipes off or the undercarriage....had to wash the car later as there were approximately 1000 stink bugs, gnats, spiders, grasshoppers, straw, dirt, cowpies under the car when we got home. Well, it was worth it.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Attachments

• DSC_0615.jpg
    DSC_0615.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0654.jpg
    DSC_0654.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0667.jpg
    DSC_0667.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_0671.jpg