A couple of ECM electrical questions

robertmee

I recently installed a powerlogger and while I had the ECM out I noticed a couple of mods/hacks (don't know which yet) and I can't figure out why they were done.....I know the previous owner was chasing a fuel problem for awhile (turned out to be a loose hose on pump) and was trying alot of things to solve. Anyway, I found:

On the pink/white (I think that's the color - it's the common 12VDC to everything), there is a spliced in wire that is run directly to a 12VDC source in the fuse box. Almost as if he thought the regular power wire wasn't getting enough juice?? It's not a matter of a pre-ignition source, as he stuck the wire in the fuse holder under the fuse for the ECM.

On the orange wire on the ECM connector (the last wire on the right I believe), there is a soldered jumper wire from the orange wire around the connector pins straight to the circuit board. Maybe it is common for a connector pin to break?

I'd like to at least remove that extra power wire as he used an 8 conductor cable and only used one wire from it (I guess all he had at the time). Are these 'common' or 'urban legend' mods that were suggested some long time ago?

Take the ecm out and submerge it in salt water..................That will fix the problems :eek::biggrin:.

I wasnt a big fan of some things done to your electrical system, and your oil psi line :eek: You are making some good headway on it though. Try posting up some picts if you can Rob.

P.s. Give me a call later if you want to buy that isolator for the oil gauge ;).

Take the ecm out and submerge it in salt water..................That will fix the problems :eek::biggrin:.

I wasnt a big fan of some things done to your electrical system, and your oil psi line :eek: You are making some good headway on it though. Try posting up some picts if you can Rob.

P.s. Give me a call later if you want to buy that isolator for the oil gauge ;).

Got a braided line, thank you very much, for the oil PSI....Plan to install it this weekend.

May have been having low voltage issues. The jumper was prolly a attempt to feed more power to the ecm.

The orange wire pin prolly broke and the jumper was installed to make the connection.