A/C not working

turbo1962

The compresser turns on and runs all the time on max. but no cold air I have aadded more Freon but makes no difference the small line coming from firewall has frost on it and ice..for about the first 6" then it turns hot. gauges say 15psi on low 150psi on the high side is their a filter in the small line? thanks

Could it be a blend or a/c door not opening? Are you getting air out of the vents on a/c settings or nothing?

when I change to heat I get heat, and lots of air blowing.when I switch to A/C the air just feels normal temp. compresser is running.

Sounds like a door not opening and closing properly. What about defrost, do you get cold air from the dash vents?

So it holds a vacuum and pulls freon in? I can't remember what the the readings should be, but are you sure there is enough freon in it? Even if it is icing up it may need more... By filter, do you mean the orifice tube? There is one of those and they do get clogged. It's in the tube right behind the dryer. Have you checked for leaks?

R12 or 134 ?
Outside temps will determine your pressure readings and are different for both of them. I am new to doing AC but there are charts for both on the net

Bryan

Its be converted to 134 about 5 years ago form a local car shop but it still was not as cold as I thought it should be. I kinda took a break from the Buick for the last 3 years . now the compresser turned on but no cold air so I added 3 12oz cans still no cold air but coming out of firewall the line has ice on it but right were I the orifice tube should be the line is not cold about 6" from firewall.

I would have started with an orifice tube and a new accumulator/dryer

The compresser turns on and runs all the time on max. but no cold air I have aadded more Freon but makes no difference the small line coming from firewall has frost on it and ice..for about the first 6" then it turns hot. gauges say 15psi on low 150psi on the high side is their a filter in the small line? thanks

The pressures are a little low for as warm as the temps have been. Looks like it is under charged.

If pressure is low try sucking in another can. It won't blow cold unless it has enough freon.

Its not supposed to have frost it supposed to have water condensation. Low charge I say.

Its be converted to 134 about 5 years ago form a local car shop but it still was not as cold as I thought it should be. I kinda took a break from the Buick for the last 3 years . now the compresser turned on but no cold air so I added 3 12oz cans still no cold air but coming out of firewall the line has ice on it but right were I the orifice tube should be the line is not cold about 6" from firewall.

Unless it's 60 degrees out then those pressures are too low.

Temp-pressure-chart-33776F1.jpg

Your not going to like what i have to say.... sounds like non condensibles to me if you keep adding refrigerant and the flash point continues to freeze. and suction pressure don't move
Dont feel bad i just flushed evap and condenser, changed accumulator,orifice tube,flushed,vacuumed,leak checked, had it blowing out 47 degrees with 134A yesterday and the compressor went out last night.BTW that's what you need to do, change that accumulator .It sounds like it has moisture saturating it and no matter how much you vacuum on a 30 year old car it will have moisture in the system .It will never work correctly .also when charging make sure you purge the lines of air to confirm nothing but refrigerant goes in the system.all my parts at Rock auto were 31 dollars plus the flush 16 dollars .... i have a 30 lb jug of 134 and a flush gun.if you buy small cans you will have about 100.00 total if you shop

Could be a restriction, clogged filter dryer or orfice? Or low on charge, maybe add some more first.

Also need to check the charge with the engine at around 1500 rpm(cruising rpm).

So turbo1962 already added freon but now he should replace the accumulator and orifice tube? Should he have the freon sucked out by his local mechanic first? Could they then replace it for him for a small fee? Also Harbor Freight sells the vacuum pump and gauges if anybody is interested.