A/C condenser...

Royal-T-Ltd

... since my front end is apart and i have easy access to the condenser - i figured i will replace it, since in the past my Compressor crapped out... havent had air since....so questions are:

1) are the chain store condensers worth anything?

2) i seem to remember in the past Savannah Air sold kits and was working on a "special" condenser that was supposed to work better with r134.... is there a unit out there? Savannah seems to have vanished....

3) any advice? i will be buying within the next day or two.

aaron

Autozone has a spectra unit with a 1 yr warranty. Oreillys has a Murray unit with a lifetime warranty.... i have heard of Spectra before...anyone here of Murray?

aaron

R134 runs at a higher pressure than the R12 your car came with. We end up with more heat on the high side of the system when compared to R12. Additional condenser cooling capacity is needed to achieve decent outlet temperatures. Vintage Air has some improved condensers. Not sure if they have one that bolts in.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-03263-VUC/

There is no "bolt-in" aftermarket replacement for a GN condenser, you will have to modify lines/connectors to make one work?

Since you are not in the desert or a very hot climate, your stock one will be more than ample for your needs, especially if you stick with R-12.

Our stock AC systems work well here even at 110 degrees! :D

If you are concerned about trash in it, just do a good flush to be sure it it is clean. :)

I did a search some time ago on newer style condenser as Nick says . Flushed it out cleaned system added new parts and converted to 134a. Blows cold until 95f than blows cool sitting in traffic especially on humid days in Virginia for me thats livable.

The other thing you can do is to use ES-12a (Enviro-Safe) instead of R134. It is much cheaper and works much better. I just replaced the compressor in another car and used the ES-12a. It gets colder then when it had R12 in it.

Note that the ES12A can top is the same as a R134 fitting.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks guys... i have another question..... recently i have been working on the car and i removed the compressor.... wellll it accidentally spilled some of the oil out of the compressor and i have no clue how much is in it... the system has never been run. this is a new compressor, i am getting ready to install a new accumulator/drier, orifice tube and line set and wondered how do i figure out how much oil to put in... should i remove the compressor and pour the rest of the oil out??? - sorry for the dumb question.

aaron

I got a 134 condenser at a truck a/c place, it was almost same size as the original. I use R12 & it gets down to 35*, very happy with it. I recommend replacing the flexible lines - had the same truck a/c place r&r my original lines - rubber has a shelf life much shorter than 25 years.
As Nick said, you'll have to modify lines, however, I didn't run into any issues I couldn't handle. Nick was a big help with any questions I had.
Only problem - when I had the condenser out, I opted to replace the radiator which I didn't know had a lot of corrosion - wow that really hurt the budget.

yes the system needs the oil. Empty out what is left and put in what comes out plus what you think spilled, it will be likely 2-4 ounces. Make sure you spin the compressor after the unit and lines are installed by hand or spanner wrench to get the oil moving.

... since my front end is apart and i have easy access to the condenser - i figured i will replace it, since in the past my Compressor crapped out... havent had air since....so questions are:

1) are the chain store condensers worth anything?

2) i seem to remember in the past Savannah Air sold kits and was working on a "special" condenser that was supposed to work better with r134.... is there a unit out there? Savannah seems to have vanished....

3) any advice? i will be buying within the next day or two.

aaron
So, what did you end up going with? I picked up one from advance but the lower line doesn't run up the same as the factory. I'm afraid to bend or modify it, thinking I might break it. Also, it's much thinner than the stock. Any advice?

I tried to convert my 87 GN to 134 freon with the stock GN condenser, it did not work well, as long as the car was moving it blew cool air but at stop light it turned to warm air. I flushed it out and went back to R-12, I know the front condenser is special for the 134, I live in arizona with Hi outside temps,
you need all the cool you can get in a all BLACK car. 35 degree air is great.

I disconnect the condenser & evaporator, removed expan valve. then flushed with denatured alcohol and flushed 3 times. i replaced the compressor then pulled a vacuum on the system. R-134 and r-12 use different oils in system.

So I bought a condenser from highwaystars which is a genuine AC Delco but it wasn't the same. I decided to just put the old one back on so if anyone wants my ac delco one let me know. Also, why can't someone make a condenser just like the stock one? I'm sure people would pay the money for something that was made to work.

So I bought a condenser from highwaystars which is a genuine AC Delco but it wasn't the same. I decided to just put the old one back on so if anyone wants my ac delco one let me know. Also, why can't someone make a condenser just like the stock one? I'm sure people would pay the money for something that was made to work.
Price?

Just like the stock one? Maybe, because technology has moved on from a 40 yr old design.
I posted a pic of the NAPA unit. I see no reason it won't fit.
As for re-using the old part...Were you going thru the system due to a failure? If so, there's no good way to clean the tubes.