A/C Compressor Pulley Noise. HELP

LomoMike

GN Rookie
Had the a/c recharged yesterday. Previous owner told me that a/c works and has been converted to R-134a it just needed to be filled. Had Mechanic put in 3lbs of R-134a. Specs say 3.25 lbs of R-12. Of course, A/C does not work (mechanic said i most likely need new compressor), but now the compressor pulley is making a noise it never made before. Sounds like metal in metal scraping/chattering/clicking. Mechanic mentioned the clutches??? I tried oiling the pulley with wd40 but couldnt really get much oil inside without getting oil in the belt. Compressor never made this noise when the system was empty before i put the 3lbs of R-134a in it. Now it is annoying, i can deal with no a/c for a while but not the chattering noise. Any way to get rid of the noise without replacing the compressor. Would discharging/emptying the system of R134a help this? Just want the noise gone at this point.

Trying to attach/give link to video of noise

https://www.facebook.com/LoMoMike1026/posts/10100886469999090

Last edited:
Clutch is shot... Likely, the load put on it w/ the 134 is making it noisy. Time to replace it.

Also when i tried to turn A/C on, the compressor clicked on for about 3 seconds and then shut off and wouldnt cone back in. Mechanic filled it with 3lbs of R-134a. Specs say 3.25lbs of R-12. Would the .25 lbs make a difference and gove the compressor clutch enough pressure to stay on? Mechanic also said he flushed the entire system and only added about 3oz of PAG oil back in. Going to try adding a charge of PAG oil and maybe a bit more R-134a see if the noise stops. Car hasnt been ran that long since this was all done 2 days ago. Just drove it about a mile with the current problem.

Also when i tried to turn A/C on, the compressor clicked on for about 3 seconds and then shut off and wouldnt cone back in. Mechanic filled it with 3lbs of R-134a. Specs say 3.25lbs of R-12. Would the .25 lbs make a difference and gove the compressor clutch enough pressure to stay on? Mechanic also said he flushed the entire system and only added about 3oz of PAG oil back in.

Pressure sw could be preventing the compressor clutch from engaging..= Freon leaked out.
Adding PAG or ofreon is a waste of time. It's new compressor time.

Check the pulley bearing first before you start replacing things. Unless you like spending money.