a 9 second transmission

turbodan1

I was wondering who in you guys opinion buids the best 200r trany that will hold up to a nine second car thanks alot for the advice

Extreme Automatics, CK, PTS would be my choice. Otto and Bison are good to....;)

9 second trany

thanks for the reply gnbrett do you know of any gns in the low nines with a 200r thanks in advance

If the car sees alot of track time, you will be better off going to a 400. That much power eats up 3rd gear clutchs. Some people have better luck than others. I am going with a 400. IMO, low 10's is the real limit to a 200 if you race on a regular basis.

If ur car is a track car ONLY then I agree go with the 400. If you plan on driving it on the street and want ur OD then the 400 is not a wise decision IMO.

If you plan on only going 60 mph at cruise speeds then the 400 might do the trick. I like to cruise at 75-80 so that just wont work for me.

The 400 will also require a different DS and a few other items. Take weight out of ur car if u think its gonna be an issue. The 200 is what you want if the street is where it will be most of the time.

The 400 will definately hold more power but ur street car has to be making quite a bit of steam to require one imo.

thanks for the reply gnbrett do you know of any gns in the low nines with a 200r thanks in advance

Low 9's? I personally don't know of anyone going that fast with a 200. Maybe, but can't be many. If ur looken to go low 9's then ur talking about a race car and the 400 is the only way to do it unless you go with a 4L80e. I cant see the 200 living very long at those speeds unless your frame is a tube.

Folks maybe doing it with the 200 in 9 sec cars, Its just really pushing it.

IMO 650-700 HP is the line for the trans lasting. the 400 is more reliable or should i say will stay in longer without the need for a refresher vs the 200.

Many have been 9.50s with the 200 and a couple have made some low 9s hits. I do not know of any that broke at that level but were replaced by a 400 in fear of breakage. With that being said if its street car that will see an occasional mid 9 hit I would say thats all good. If its a track car with no street duty 400 would be better choice.

9 second trany

Thank you all for helping makeing up my mind the car is stage 2 276 cubic in on center with ac and I drive it alot on the street so it would be most on street but the track is about 30 miles from me and would like to drive there and put down some mid 9 second passes and drive it back home ,the quest for speed and a streetable car is allways a problem but any way thaks alot for all the help.

Extreme Automatics, CK, PTS would be my choice. Otto and Bison are good to....;)

Many have been 9.50s with the 200 and a couple have made some low 9s hits. I do not know of any that broke at that level but were replaced by a 400 in fear of breakage. With that being said if its street car that will see an occasional mid 9 hit I would say thats all good. If its a track car with no street duty 400 would be better choice.

+1

Thank you all for helping makeing up my mind the car is stage 2 276 cubic in on center with ac and I drive it alot on the street so it would be most on street but the track is about 30 miles from me and would like to drive there and put down some mid 9 second passes and drive it back home ,the quest for speed and a streetable car is allways a problem but any way thaks alot for all the help.

I have a TH400 w/t-brake and drive it on the street a lot. Solid roller cam, Stage II on center W/stage II heads, yada, yada, yada...and have taken it on 50+ mile round trips. matter of fact, I accumulated 3000+ miles and planning on a freshen/rebuild this winter. I also have 3.91 gears and 30" tires. I say TH400 and don't look back.
Allan G.

All rise, the judge now presides...LOL
Good info Lonnie

I have a TH400 w/t-brake and drive it on the street a lot. Solid roller cam, Stage II on center W/stage II heads, yada, yada, yada...and have taken it on 50+ mile round trips. matter of fact, I accumulated 3000+ miles and planning on a freshen/rebuild this winter. I also have 3.91 gears and 30" tires. I say TH400 and don't look back.
Allan G.

That's pretty kool that u drive urs that much on the street. Problem is u cant go over 60-65 mph without rpm's going too high which wastes a lot of gas and puts strain on ur motor. But then again, with ur motor & gears urs could likely withstand the abuse at a higher highway speed. Most motors may not tho.

I'm not totally against the 400 and may switch some day but for now the 200 stays in. If ur not breaking the 200 then it makes no sense to switch and add weight imo.

Janis Transmission

Maybe you guys didnt see my post in this section. I just went 9s on Vince Janis's "stage 1" basic build 2004r transmission. I drive mine on the street to much to give up the overdrive. I have been running them for years in the mid to bottom 10s and NEVER had an issue. I am going to run my car as deep into the 9s as this "stage 1" trans will go with ZERO billet internals to see what its limit is. Then I will go with the full billet internals set up.

Also he does all the trans work on Red Armstrongs GN and his 2004r just went 9.36@146 with a lock up at Norwalk. He also runs a Stage 2 motor. Vince has done the trans on atleast half a dozen or so cars in the 9s, including his stage 2 car. Not to mention the prob hundreds in the 10s.

Bottom line is if you want a 2004r that can hold up into the 9s, Vince is a builder you should def consider!

That's pretty kool that u drive urs that much on the street. Problem is u cant go over 60-65 mph without rpm's going too high which wastes a lot of gas and puts strain on ur motor. But then again, with ur motor & gears urs could likely withstand the abuse at a higher highway speed. Most motors may not tho.

I'm not totally against the 400 and may switch some day but for now the 200 stays in. If ur not breaking the 200 then it makes no sense to switch and add weight imo.

Brett his car is fine cruising at 3000rpm. People that build cars with $15-20k engines in them dont care much about fuel economy. The 400 has much better gear ratios for an application like his and his car will likely run 8's at or under 30psi. Also the 400 doesnt have to release anyhting to upshift. It just applies the next clutch unlike the 200 that has to release the band. Also the direct drum in the 200 spins backwards in 1st gear at about 2.5-2.7x engine speed depending on converter slip. This is not a good thing at 7500rpm.

Brett his car is fine cruising at 3000rpm. People that build cars with $15-20k engines in them dont care much about fuel economy. The 400 has much better gear ratios for an application like his and his car will likely run 8's at or under 30psi. Also the 400 doesnt have to release anyhting to upshift. It just applies the next clutch unlike the 200 that has to release the band. Also the direct drum in the 200 spins backwards in 1st gear at about 2.5-2.7x engine speed depending on converter slip. This is not a good thing at 7500rpm.

The 400 drum also spins backwards when in first and low roller is holding. Neither transmission spins up at anywhere close to 2x anything when the low roller is holding. The 400 drum weighs maybe 12-13 lbs loaded the 200 maybe 4-5 loaded. No one has ever seen the 200 drum explode. Many have been injured and car has taken a lot of damage from a CAST 400 drum explosion. 200 has timed shifts and so do the fastest TH400s on the planet. Thats one reason the 200 is as strong as it is for its mass. The progressive shift 400s just dont get it done on the fast cars. The 200 will handle the job turbodan is asking it to do if he feels he needs the OD. I personally dont want to spin my engine 3000-3500 on the freeway. If someone owns a hi 8sec car they dont own a street car anyway IMO.

9 second trany

Thanks alot for all the valuable input and information and experiences that you guys have had with the turbo 400 and the 2004r as of now I think I will stick with the 2004r and give it a shot thanks alot for all the help you guys are the best.thanks again