9th Anniversary of my most memorable run ever

rphatdad

Most fish kill stories start with a nemesis. A nemesis can be a car i.e. a Mustang or
Viper, or a person the young punk in the SRT4 talking smack. This story my nemesis is
time, not the type of time that it takes to run a quarter mile but the time that passes each
day and guides our destiny, and the how love affects our destiny.

On Nov 19th 1997 my wife who was 6 months Pregnant was sent to Miami Valley
Hospital in Dayton, Ohio due to high blood pressure caused by toxemia. She was told
that she would be put on bed rest till the end of the pregnancy. The doctors told me it
was safe to go home with my 6 year old step daughter, so she could get her to school the
next day, and it would be weeks before the baby came. I kissed my wife good bye, and
told her to get a good night sleep.

I got my step daughter in bed and watched a little TV before going to bed myself. At
2:30 I was woken from my slumber by a frantic call from the hospital saying get here
now. I asked what was going on they would not tell me just get here immediately. I
called my Sister Jeanne to meet me at the hospital to get my other daughter. I frantically
tried to wake my 6 year old to get her on the way, I told her mommy was real sick and
we needed to get there to see her, I couldn't get her up. I'd pull her out of bed and get
the clothes to her only to have her climb back in bed.

I finally resorted to the one thing all Child psychologists say never to do, Bribery. I
promised Chrystal if she got up and ready I would buy her the Gymnast Barbie she
wanted on TV. That worked like a cup of Black coffee, she was ready to go.

We ran out to the drive way, Chrystal ran towards mommy's car, a dodge Omni, I yelled
no we're taking my car. We hopped in the GN which luckily had almost a full tank of
gas. I made Chrystal get in the back and buckle up. I left in a cloud of black tire smoke.
Miami Valley hospital is almost 40 miles away from my home in Springfield, Ohio. Both my Speedometer and Boost Gauge were pegged the whole trip. Chrystal was
tripping out in the back seat she kept yelling this is fun and your going to get a ticket. I
was just praying the whole time my car wouldn't run out of gas or wouldn't blow a hose
off. Luckily, I some how made the trip in 15 minutes flat. Luckily, the police were not in
their usual spots that night.

After ditching the GN in the empty parking lot and ran up the stairs to the maternity
ward. One nurse took Chrystal, and the other took me to scrub in. My wife Lorri was in
the middle of a C-Section. Once I finished scrubbing in. I went back to the O.R. only to
meet a doctor and an empty bed. My wife had already delivered. The doctor explained
that the placenta had ruptured and both mom and baby were in Grave danger and they
couldn't wait for me.

They were able to get my daughter out in time, and she was in the NICU. I was sent to
the NICU to see my daughter. She was the tiniest, most beautiful child I had ever seen only 1lb 12 oz, he was just an inch longer than a Barbie doll.

By that time my sister had arrived and took Chrystal for the week. I went back to the
recovery room to see my wife. She woke up to see me and we went to see my daughter.
We named her Veronica. She spent 3 months in the hospital, and has been a fighter since
day one.

Although Veronica now is wheelchair bound and has several disabilities to overcome she
can always light up a room with her smile, and her positive attitude towards life despite
her problems has been an inspiration everyone around her.

I work 2 jobs just to pay all the medical bills, but my angel’s worth it. The Grand
National that made this run was stolen in January of 2001 and I got it back just this
October. The seats wheels tires and turbo are gone, The GN is in sad shape but I am restoring it in Veronica’s honor, and I might even let Chrystal drive it to Prom.

Love you Veronica
Happy 9th Birthday
RPHATDAD
Ronnie's fat dad.

An incredibly heart warming story, and so well written! My guess would be that you have some writing skills in your background.

I salute you rphatdad, glad to hear your little girl's a fighter, with the good lord's blessing and a mom and dad like you, your little girl is truly blessed. may she have a safe and speedy recovery. good luck on restoreing the GN, i will soon be changeing plenty of parts in my gn, i would be more than glad to hand over anything i have left over for free, and don't be shy about asking for help,

I have seen guys here gladly give parts that they don't need anymore. we all know how hard it is to restore our cars once stolen, place a list i'm sure some of us have parts lying around, i don't know you but i'm willing help, as a dad who has also been through some trying times lately, sometimes a little help from a fellow dad and buick lover goes along way.

place what you need, let's see what we could do.

Thanks for all of your support and words of encouragement. I have already been promised a stock
turbocharger by TURBOTWIN2 what a great guy and many have offered parts and written requesting
what parts I need.

This is what I know I need for the car. I am not expecting anything but if you have the parts
laying around gathering dust and want to help out, I would so much appreciate the help. If you
have any questions please let me know.

Again Thanks everyone for the support.

Parts I need to Restore the GN
Exhaust Manifolds (Drivers side is cracked) Pass side is missing shield
Turbo Hoses and Clamps
Turbo Feed and Return Lines
Turbo Shield
Turbo Gaskets
Mass Air Flow Sensor
Mass Air Flow Pipe
Fuel Lines
Left and Right Side Marker Lights
Front Left and Right Air Dams
Lower Bumper turn signal lenses
Oil Fill Tube

radio bezel clips
inside and outside trim screws
Kick Panels
Steering Wheel
Seats front and rear lower
Console Lid
Door Locks
Ignition Cylinder
Dome Light Lens
Front Drivers and Pass Seat Belts
Rear Seat Belts
Shifter Handle and Spring (have button and chrome)
Driver Side Door Escutions
All 4 Escution Covers
2 Pull Straps
Drivers and Passenger Lower Door Panels
Headliner Material
any gauges or gauge pods

Trunk Lid
Drivers and Pass Doors
GN Rims & Tires
Passenger Fender
Drivers Side Rear bumper filler.
Rear fiber glass piece below the gas fill tube