99 Regal GS - O2 Sensor & Tune-up

87gninpa

My daily driver just hit 100k. I did a full tuneup last spring @ 75k; plugs, wires, pcv, fuel filter, etc.... I put regular copper plugs in, but now that I'm driving about 25k a year I want to put the factory spec iridium plugs in so I dont have to change them every year, whats the Delco part number for them?

Also, I want to change the O2 sensor, whats the best way to get to it? Go in from the top with a O2 sensor socket? I'm only planning on changing the upstream sensor, as the rear sensor usually doesnt have much to do with mileage or A/F ratio. Any help appreciated.

screw the factory spec plugs, use autolite 104. use a o2 socket from the top, just watch the wire on the new one.

I have the 104s in there, but i really dont feel like changing plugs every year on this car.

then you might as well not change them at all. stock is ok, but still should be changed each year. i change my plugs in the spring, summer and fall. im also running 14psi of boost and hi octane but still way better then stock. the 104 are a little cheaper then stock and take 15 min to change. how bad is that once a year. i also clean my air filter every 3 months. like my car running right.

The stock iridium plugs are good for 100k. Car is stock and staying that way, I dont see a need to change them every year.

I would not be concerned about replacing the O2 sensor unless you have a code fail indicating a problem with it. Remember you have a back up sensor to make sure it is functioning properly. We have almost 130,000 miles on our 99 GS with the original sensor. I agree with using the iridium spark plugs. I always use high quality spark plug wires. If you have the original coils inspect the posts for corrosion. If you find corrosion you should consider replacing all 3 coil packs. I always use the economy coils with the aluminum posts as replacements.

250K on my old GS. the O2 was never a problem:cool: and i ran her hard. Sold her still running great. Did you do a U bend delete? as for the plugs, I understand about changing plugs, go with whatever you want.(lasts) I use to run NGKs always lasted me i was stock boost level. As for coils i used summits coils, not sure if they sell them still but should or might be under different make now.

The only reason i mest with the O2 at about 220k was to install the u bend delete pipe. Took it off put the same o2 on the U delete pipe.

I was only going to swap out the 02 as a maintenance item. I've hear they should be done @ 100k. If not, then great I'll just keep it in for now until it goes bad.

If you want to freshen up the a sensor or two, nothing wrong with that IMO. Do it, if it's what you thinks best:cool:. Again only reason why even mest with mine was to get the U bend delete pipe, which all SC3.8 should a must IMO.

I would change out the SC (nose) oil and bearings use new ones(green ones) at 120k.