98 Blazer "service engine soon" question

Renthorin

Lone Wolf
Anyone know how to make my 98 Blazer tell me what code it is throwing?

I don't have a tool to diagnose it and don't want to pay the dealership to tell me.

Hoping there is a trick to flash the light a certain number of times for a code...etc

TIA

Bill

Bill,

a 98 Blazer is an OBD II system, so you cannot simply ground a certain terminal and have the code flash using the SES light. You must use a scanner. :( However ,

Autozone will scan the vehicle for free. :) They don't tell you what the code means, you'll have to post the code here and I can tell you what it is. From what I have seen, typically their code reader doesn't use basic factory codes..... I do have a conversion though. :cool:

Yeah, after 1996 (?) the OBD2 systems take the fun out of "fix it yourself".
Scanners are typically 140+. Not a cheap test tool.
However, one of the more common problems is the gas cap. Yes, the systems can tell you if your gas cap is sealing correctly.

I ran into this problem lately on my 96 Astro (also OBD2). SES light comes on, dont want to go to the dealer. It drives fine, runs fine, so I drove it for a few days. I put gas in it, and a day or so later it went out on its own. Happened a few more times, but not recently. It is really sensitive to pressure changes in the tank, so when the temperature fluctuates a lot during the day, it might cause the sensor to mis-read. Also it will happen if the cap isnt on tight enough.
If you can get someone to scan it for free, awesome. No one around here will. The shops with a scanner want to charge for it.
Its just a thought. Similar powertrain as my vehicle, and from what I hear from other owners, it is common this time of year.

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys.

I will check the gas cap. It was filled recently.

And yesterday was one of those 38 in the mornoing 72 in the afternoon with for in the moring so every sensor was prolly freaking out.

If not I will have it scanned by someone free or not and see if it is somehting I can do myself.

My bro had the light come on in his 2002 Montanna. He said the dealership ended up "recalibrating the drive train???" Sounds like a scam to me.

Originally posted by Renthorin
Cool. Thanks for the replies guys.

I will check the gas cap. It was filled recently.

And yesterday was one of those 38 in the mornoing 72 in the afternoon with for in the moring so every sensor was prolly freaking out.

If not I will have it scanned by someone free or not and see if it is somehting I can do myself.

My bro had the light come on in his 2002 Montanna. He said the dealership ended up "recalibrating the drive train???" Sounds like a scam to me.

It is common for dealers to download a revised program into the PCM as these contain a flash memory and no not have replacable chips. Usually this info contains a wider window for the ECM to read a particular sensor. You can pull the PCM fuse and reset the code. If it was an intermittant problem the light will stay off. If the light comes back on after replacing the fuse, you definately have a current malfunction.

Where is the PCM fuse? I pulled the ECM and ENG fuses but the light still stays on :-(

BTW, the gas cap was almost all the way off. I tightened it but the light it still on.

Not having a wiring schematic, I'll have to guess...... It should be located in the central fuse block. What you can do is disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Just remember that if you have one of the factory radios with theftloc, make sure you unlock the radio with your code before you diconnect the battery or you'll have to pay the dealer to do it for you. :mad: If the light stays on, you have a current malfunction.

I unhooked the batter for about 15 seconds then hooked it back up.

It didn't solve the problem but it also didn't keep me from listening to my cd's this morning.

In fact....I just went out to reset all the stations and they are all still programmed.....hmmmmm

I assumed I had disconnected the power as the underhood light went out. Maybe I didn't unhook the power all the way?