9.46@143 on a stock block w/cast piston!!!

raflyer

I have to admit that this is quite impressive! The stock pistons in the 3800 are half the strength of the GN 3.8's! Rest of motor is a+++++
Maybe we should retrofit the 3800 into the regal!? Better bottom-ends, faster revving, and best of all, better cam choices and stock roller cams! Heads even flow better as well!

http://zzperformance.com/grand_prix...15&PHPSESSID=d3a5ccd3d423c22f6d4db6335f58011f

Or here it is copied,
"We received the new turbos for the twin turbo GT a couple weeks ago and decided to head up to Stanton yesterday for test n tune. The weather was nice with temps around 70 and a D/A around 1000'. Track prep was pretty good but could have been better. At 23 psi, the first pass off the trailer set the 3800 FWD 60' record with a 1.460. [The car's previous best (and old FWD record) was 1.489.] Power was down at the top end and the pass was a 9.62 at 143. Since I had reinstalled the 95 lb low Z injectors, the tune was off quite a bit on the rich side. Further tuning resulted in better wideband readings(11.2 by the 3rd pass), but the car still did not run the MPH it should. Sixty foots were 1.48 and 1.46 again. There has been a barely audible(with open exhaust) tapping sound for the last couple months and it started to get louder. The result was a weak cylinder and max KR resulting in less than 5 degrees of timing advance. At this time we suspect that a rod bearing has failed. I imagine that it happened when the fuel pump was bad and I ran a few passes at 14:1 air/fuel ratio back in August.

After 36 passes on the stock bottom end with most in the 9s, we will finally be tearing down the motor to see the damage. I will most likely pick up another used motor and use the bottom end to finish out the season and run into next year.

-Matt

Click here for video

ZZP cars were the first to run 1.6, 1.5 and 1.4 60 foots. The TTGT runs a stock differential and the Certified transmission is holding up great!"

Not sure how you would fit a front-wheel drive engine into our Regals. Maybe the version that was used in the F bodies? How to attach to the transmission? Headers? Engine mounts? Sounds like a BIG project. But I do like the advantages of the 3800.

Ormand said:
Not sure how you would fit a front-wheel drive engine into our Regals. Maybe the version that was used in the F bodies? How to attach to the transmission? Headers? Engine mounts? Sounds like a BIG project. But I do like the advantages of the 3800.

There is no difference between the RWD block and FWD block on the f-bodies and w-bodies. I have a friend who had an adapter plate made and is running a turbo 400 behind an 800hp turbo 3800 in an f-body. His goal is low 8's :eek: Other than headers and the adapter plate,and eng mount brackets it would be quite easy. Plus there is better pcm's and software to program the new stuff. You could also run the 4L60E tranny from the F-body as well and have over drive as well.

TTA850 said:
Nope, same basic design but with a few improvments through the years
X2

6 bolt mains, gerator oil pump, improved sealing. Only 2 weaknesses are short deck and thin deck but those can be fixed.

I'm seriously thinking about going this route for the better cam choices, tuning software, ignition system, and no oil leaks! :D

raflyer said:
X2

6 bolt mains, gerator oil pump, improved sealing. Only 2 weaknesses are short deck and thin deck but those can be fixed.

I'm seriously thinking about going this route for the better cam choices, tuning software, ignition system, and no oil leaks! :D

Well if your interested I still my my 3800 in the garage. Bottom end is stock but its got head work, s/c work, lower intake and all ported and polished with 105lb springs, Comp Cams valve train ect, ect......... but I would highly discorage it. Zommer and them have been racing for a few years now and it took them a lot of time to get the car to run this fast. Then engine are solid but I had to replace my pistons and upgrade to JE Forged aluminum pistons after cracking 3 of them (on seperate ocassions)

But the stock crank and rods take the abuse, the piston I would upgrade and if you get a DHP Powrtuner, the tunning posibilities are endless!...

I have built and tuned many 3800's using HPTuners. I own the fastest 04Impala w/3800 SC motor running in the 11's now/was(demod) :smile: :cool:

Fuuny you mention Zooomer and pistons in the same sentence!!!!!!!!!! He and i have had many arguments over the stock piston's. He says that is all they run and they have no issues! :rolleyes: I have always said run a forged piston since day one! :wink: I chipped 2 on my impala one winter. Haven't broke one since with over 200 passes on the motor. 18psi boost 24deg timing. That is the equal to about 30psi boost in GN temperature wise :eek:

Razor said:
How heavy is that car?
It is around 3K +or- I have seen it in person, nice workmanship, no interior, sheet metal floors.

There are 2 other FWD 3800's in the 9's with turbo's. All are around 3Klb

too bad you have to adjust the wheelie bars hard onto the ground as to not unload the front wheels to lose traction. Looks goofy..