89 coilpack and module

Ken Cunningham

Post No Bills
Local junkyard has 3-4 1989 3800 cars lined up. Do the coil packs and modules interchange with an '87 TR? The module number is different (25526121) but they sure do look identical. The price for the pair (coil and module) is only $21!

Type I ignition coils (all one piece on top). I bought one from a 1988 Riviera T Type. I didn't even know there was a Riviera T Type, but the emblem looks just like the 84-86 T Type. The module has three threaded studs coming out of the bottom, and this may be where it differs from our Regals. I don't recall how many studs our modules have, and I don't know if the bolt pattern will match up. The wire connector on the side does look the same as ours: a little bolt connection in the middle.

Module won't work

I tried the 1988 Riviera T-Type module today. The plug into the module is keyed differently from the Regal. There are 7 pins on each side of the bolt, and the electrical connection looks identical. But there are plastic rails and slots (the 'keys' I mentioned) for the plug from the Regal harness into the module. This is what doesn't match. Also the module is backward from the Regal: with this electrical connector to your right, the even number terminals will face you. On the Regal, the odd terminals will be forward. This may be the only difference and why the keys are different.

The module itself is a little bit thinner than the Regal, but the mounting bolts were in the same place, just a little bit longer.

Then I tried the coil pack and it fits fine on the Regal module. The wiring hookup looked identical, the terminals on this particular find were pristine, so I gave it a try. The car idles fine, doesn't throw a code, and all my scan tool readings look good. Will give it a go and see how it performs.

The Ignition Module you have is different from TRs but the coilpak is the same. Most coilpaks are defective. If the one you purchased works at all rpm levels, it must be OK.