87 We4 Rolling Chassis.

daniel

i just bought an 87 we4 with no engine or tranny. i was wanting some input from other members.i am wanting to mainly make this a strip car with few street miles. do you guys think this car is worth going back turbo buick or something else.the car is in pretty good shape. i would have to find a complete engine from tb to oil pan. the car has the computer and harness still in it and accesories and brackets but no intercooler or pipes. thanks in advance for any help, daniel

IMHO if all that is there..... go back Buick. If you are in a time bind....just buy a complete engine like the one here in the Parts ForSale section. Get a good tranny from someone like Brian Hoffer here on the board..... Check the feedback section for great feedback on his tranny's at reasonable prices....

I would piece it back together a turbo6 .... it will be worth more in the end.... Can't find any better place for tech support than right here too.....

I would plan on around $2500 for the engine... and $1500 or so for a tranny......shouldn't take much more big $$ parts to get it going..... stock intercoolers go for around $100.....

If you have the time..... find a donor car in the boneyard with a 4.1L..... should have the good turbo crank and rods if it hasn't been rebuilt....there is 8445 heads on the board for sale now at $40/pr .... piece the stock intake.... and other necessary components to go back.... probably looking at similar money either way.... if you don't go buckwild on the 4.1L rebuild.....

These are my suggestions anyway.....

blazer406, thanks for your reply. i just picked it up last night and i am already want to have it running. needless to say i am impatient and broke at the same time.

pics

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 191
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 193
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 179
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 180
Looks good to me..... I resurected one in much worse overall shape..... albeit with motor and tranny still attached....

Mine is at the paint shop as we speak..... Here is mine when I got it....

www.beabulldog.com

good info blazer however i know daniel and his previous tb ran 10.50's so he'll no way go stock. too hard to go back once youve been mid 10's.

I guess you are right.....but the T6 is no slouch..... mid 10's should be no problem for a well prepped 6. I have dreamed one day when I get through with my '87 GN (snowball's chance in hell that will actually happen)....to find another rolling chassis of another GN or fairly clean regal and make a GN clone...... except much faster than my street turbo6 GN (current goal is low 11's)...... my second GN would be visually identical to my street GN except with a twin turbo 454 big block Chevy and probably a glide..... still be a pump gas/alky car..... but would all have to fit under stock hood. I might opt for a small block, but would rather the have the extra cubes..... goal for that car would be around 900 RWHP on pump gas/alky..... car would have a cage and much upgraded rear end full interior...ect......... ET goal would be mid 9's on pump gas/alky......boost in the low 20's somewhere.... keep in mind... I'm dreaming.....

blazer406, thanks again for all the info. you have a nice project on your hands, good luck with it. i really wish i had the money to do a sbc with a single turbo.i have an engine already that i might use and just spray it till it blows. i am still weighing my options.

I'm going to be a partial heretic here but I say put a 350 in it. A Buick 350, the V8Buick guys have been messing around with mocking up a GN accessory drive on the front of a 350 block and it fits perfectly. I'd start out with a carbed 350 and TH200-4R and get her moving and make sure there aren't any more bugs to workout and then go for the gusto with putting a turbo back on it. Sure you'll have to get custom headers, machine an intake for EFI, and an aftermarket ECM but being a race car, you'd probably do the ECM part anyway. I think it would be fun, different, and still 100% Turbo Buick just with 2 more cylinders so your specific output doesn't have to be as high to cut down on the parts damage.

Just some comentary from the Heretic gallery,

guys, nothing against the buick 350 but if i put a v8 in it i will use a chevy. but anyway thanks for the input.

daniel said:
guys, nothing against the buick 350 but if i put a v8 in it i will use a chevy. but anyway thanks for the input.

Your crazy if you put anything but a V6-turbo motor in it. This car is CLEAN. And with only 1547 WE4's made, ide bring it back. Or put a 350 in it and make mine more valuble :)

I'd stay with the turbo 6. If it were a NA regal, maybe a 350 Buick, or even Chevy. But being what the car is, go back to the 6. You can get it together for relatively inexpensive if you are patient and look for deals.

daniel said:
Chevy 383 with a Procharger and a decent set of heads will make BIG power, No intercooler just Alky. 800 HP would be pretty easy and pretty cheap to build.
Mike

Mike Licht said:
Chevy 383 with a Procharger and a decent set of heads will make BIG power, No intercooler just Alky. 800 HP would be pretty easy and pretty cheap to build.
Mike
TRAITOR!!!!!!!

J/K Mike, but seriously don't but any ideas like that in his head, already enough Buick's out there with chebby motors

Mike Licht said:
Mike
i have a set of brodix track1 heads that should support good power. i also have a low comp. 377(destroked 400, 9:1 comp.). and i have a chance to buy a high comp. 406.(13.3:1 comp.)i cannot make up my mind right now. i want to go 9's and i am trying to figure out my best way as far as money and reliability goes. thanks all you guys for all the input and comments and keep them coming. thanks, daniel