'87 Turbo-T Limited, What is it Worth?

TriShield

Buick Turbo Elitist Pr|ck
My father is looking at purchasing a 1987 Turbo-T Limited, the seller is asking $13,800.

Looked at the car the other day, it runs well except for some detonation/slight hesitation at WOT and high boost, the wheels need to be balanced, and the driver's side front brake shakes the car when using the brakes. The power antenna doesn't work as well. The car was repainted years ago, but the paint wasn't much better than what they used back in '87, and the emblems were not removed. The center console could also be in better shape. The aluminum finned wheels are peeling and ugly. The transmission oil pan also has a bit of rust on it.

Otherwise the car is very good condition, and has no dents or rust anywhere (outside, door jambs, trunk, underhood). No evidence of any accidents or filler as well. All the body panels have even gaps with no misalignment.

It really steers like a boat in the twisties, much more roll and float than my stock '87 GN with the same original miles on it, in fact it makes my GN seem downright stiff in comparison. Is that normal for a non grand touring suspension Regal?

It has 38,000 original miles, a full leather interior, driver's side powered seat, power windows and door locks, body side molding, half vinyl roof, cornering lights, chrome package, rear defrost, remote mirrors, cassette stereo with EQ and that's about it.

The car is completely stock other than a 3.73 posi gear set in the rear end, which makes it quite snappy.

What do you guys think is a fair value for this car? We'll probably offer the seller $9k for it and go for there.

There's a guy in my town that selling a Limited T Near perfect condition., and he's only asking 8,000 for it. The limited also has the same suspension that the GN has and the rest of the Regals. For over 13,000 this car should be close to show condition. Sounds like this car has alot more miles than he's stating. Alot of ware for a car with less than 40,000. Sounds like this car has been beat on.

John

I agree. Did you say $13,800 or $3,800...? ;)
The car is not remotely worth his price, per what you've listed. I wouldn't even offer $9,000. I'd go more like $7500, and barter up from there. If it's as stock as you listed, then it's gonna take you a good deal of money to buy upgrades to make it run the way you would want,,, assuming you want to go fast. I would base my equation more on the basis of what will be your total expenditures to reach your end goal. If you pay $9k+ and then spend another $2,500 in repairs and upgrades, well,,, you do the math. You even mentioned the detonations, hesitation, etc at WOT. I dunno, but it sounds like there's some work to be done in order to make it right. I suppose you could feel him out a little, and figure out what he's truly shooting for in selling price. I would be willing to bet, at his listed price, and anything remotely close to it, he'll be holding on to the car for quite some time.

Originally posted by JFH
There's a guy in my town that selling a Limited T Near perfect condition., and he's only asking 8,000 for it.

Link?

Sounds interesting.

Don't have a link. Never seen it advertised on either boards. Just see it on my way to work sometimes. Looks like he's in no rush to sell it because sometimes it's in the garage for a few weeks. He seems to have a couple of GS also. Could be on this board. I'll check it out next time I see it. I know his plates are justa6 New Jersey

John

If you merely "see it on my way to work", how do you know it's "near perfect"???

If it's near perfect and $8K you outta take a 2nd mortgage, run over there and buy it tonite...

Good comments so far, I think he'll pass on this car.

Limiteds with leather aren't getting any easier to find though. :(

Originally posted by strikeeagle
If you merely "see it on my way to work", how do you know it's "near perfect"???

If it's near perfect and $8K you outta take a 2nd mortgage, run over there and buy it tonite...
He was at a car show last week in town and I got a closer look at the car. With a 250 thous mortage I don't need another mortage

That car is worth nowhere near $13.8k?
The guy must be crazy. The TR market is strong, but it isn't that strong.
I'd guess (based on your post) that the car is worth ~$9k, plus or minus.
S.

Originally posted by TriShield
Good comments so far, I think he'll pass on this car.

Limiteds with leather aren't getting any easier to find though. :(

No-one has really suggested passing on the car completely, but we have said to pass at that price. If you're really interested in it, make him a reasonable offer that will be fair to both parties, and then he simply has the choice of saying yes or no. If he declines, give him your contact info, so that when it does not sell for his high asking price, he can call you with a proper deal.

There are rarely any absolute numbers on used vehicles, in that, you can low-ball him, and let him then return fire, and play the numeric ping-pong game until you meet in the range you're shooting for.

If the car's in that bad a condition he's asking about 4 times what it's worth!! Even if it were show perfect, they just don't bring that kind of price. :eek: