87 T for sale in England

231twannabe

It's a low mile car in London, silver 87 Ttype. How much of a hassle would it be to get it back over here? Guys says it'll take $999 to air freight it over and an extra $250 for insurance. Once the car gets here I've 15 days to make sure it's exactly what he represented. Then I send him the rest of the money for the car. Have you guys ever seen this before? Is it a scam? The price is too good, so that's what leads me to believe it's not legit. I saw pics of it but now the car's not listed on the site it was before. The car looked like it just rolled off the showroom.

What do you guys think??

A link would help possibly. Is it on ebay? Is he asking for you to western union any amount to secure it? Couple thousand anyway?

just found out some more info on the car from carfax

The guy stated that it had 10,414 miles and car fax stated that
The last odometer reading, reported on 05/16/1996, was 88,000 miles.

So if the vin he sent was correct I'd be safe in assuming it had 110,414 miles. Even with that the price is still good.

btw, it was on autotrader for $5000, but last I checked it was removed. I got the email from him today so evidently it's not sold yet. I don't know why he would remove it. The car looked like it was in perfect condition and actually had only 10k miles on it.

Here's more info on it from autotrader

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Buick
Model: Regal
Year: 1987
Price: 5000
Mileage: 10414
Body Style: Coupe
Color: Silver
Cylinders: 6 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission: Automatic
Doors: Two Door
Stereo: Unavailable
VIN: 1G4GJ1176HP454085
Description: 1987 BUICK T-TYPE SILVER WITH LIGHT GRAY INTERIOR. PROBABLY ONE OF THE NICEST T-TYPES IN EXISTANCE. THIS IS A SOLID ROOF CAR WITH AN ORIGINAL 10,414 MILES. THE CAR HAS THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS, ELECTRIC DOOR LOCKS, TINTED GLASS, POWER WINDOWS, BODY SIDE MOLDINGS, DOOR EDGE GUARDS, 2 SPEED WIPER WITH
DELAY, REAR DEFOGGER, BODY COLOR MIRRORS, LIGHTED VISOR VANITY MIRROR, LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL, TILT STEERING, WHITE LETTER TIRES, BODY SIDE STRIPE, THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM, POWER ANTENNA, CONCERT SOUND WITH GRAPHIC EQUALIZER.

Originally posted by 231twannabe
It's a low mile car in London, silver 87 Ttype. How much of a hassle would it be to get it back over here? Guys says it'll take $999 to air freight it over and an extra $250 for insurance.
What do you guys think??

is it a real 3600# Car? plane tickets for 2 people to london would cost that much :confused:

I knew something had to be up. That's why I asked you guys, to see if you had seen anything similar. I've got his email address, his cell #, and address. Should I report it to autotrader or something?

The thread mentioned was the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

$999 for airlift is way far-fetched. I looked into having my GN brought here to Germany by boat when I came here a few years ago. The price I was quoted was $1200 plus fees for taxes and having lights and such converted for use in Europe. Shipping time would take about 6 weeks. Now, you're talking about by aircraft. My plane tickets to fly from Germany to the US are approximately Eur 300-500 per person, during the off season (winter) and Eur 700 and up during the summer (after June 15th).

So for that price for a 3600 pound car is crazy. Even if that price were in British Pounds.

What is the background of this car? How did it end up in England? Who were the previous owners. What modifications did it have to have to drive on British roads (lights?). The British measure in miles and MPH so the speedometer would be the same. Cars are allowed to drive on British roads that are left-hand drive so that wouldn't be modified either.

I'd be very skeptical of this deal. It would be very helpful if you had links, pics or other information.

If you do go further with this deal, please contact me as I'm only 45 minutes by air from London. I don't want to see anyone get taken by a scam who is trying to have an honest introduction into the the turbobuick hobby.

I'm not going to pursue it. There's too many "minuses" going on in the deal.

I didn't save any pics of the car and I don't have any links because the ad was removed. I sent the info the guy emailed me to autotrader, but I don't know if anything will happen about it.

The carfax said the car was a one owner car out of New Jersey and was registered 5 times. Once in NJ, 3 in PA and once in Childersburg AL :confused: Those date back to 96 with the mileage at 88,000 miles. His ad said 10,414 orig miles. The vin looks correct and I would think the car had 110,414 miles.

That's too much hassle for a car with 110k. The guy said he was selling it internationally so he may just be collecting peoples shipping and insurance money and skipping town with it.

Like someone said in a previous post, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is":D

Thanks again for the heads up guys. I wasn't going to buy it unless I consulted with you guys first. Thanks again!:D

I've seen that car on autotrader before. About a year or two ago with the same mileage and same pictures....:rolleyes:

If this ad comes up again, please put the link here... perhaps New Scotland Yard would be interested in investigating this.