87 owner from SF Bay Area! Begin the rebuild.

Calia22

Hey everyone! My name is Casey I am a 6 month owner of an 87 GN with 150k that may or may not have been cursed by the PO. The 1st day i got it, a fuel line blew while i was driving it home from Portland, Oregon. Tow truck ride on the 1st day. Off to a good start. some time later, i thought that the turbo had gone bad. I replaced it with a rebuilt unit. Still very boggy and it turns out that the California gas has plugged my catalytic converter. some time with a hacksaw and replacement section of exhaust later, it wound up being a very reliable ride. For 2 more months. On a road trip back to Oregon to see my parents, the motor was given the mark of death, with a rod knock. Now i am in the process of pulling the motor for a rebuild by one of the best builders on the west coast. hopefully that remedies my woes haha.

Over time, I plan to make my car into an autoX car. I know the popular thing seems to go 1/4 mile machine with these cars, but i want something i can drive every day and lay into a few turns at the same time. After this motor build is all said and done, the brakes and suspension are going to get some TLC. Also the frame is either getting boxed, or im going to box a donor frame and swap frames. Im thinking Ridetech coils and a watts link should do it for me. Baer is gonna cover my stopping needs. They also have their own master cylinder now so that may get some looking into.

Also i am going to ditch that massive hunk of plastic and refrigerant called the AC system. I saw the Kit that Arizona GN has and i am pretty excited to see engine bay instead of a blob in the corner of my bay. but until i can afford that

But this is an introduction thread, so i am just going to leave it at that. I'll post a link to my build thread whenever i decide to not be a lazy piece of garbage. Until then, here are some picture of when it was running and awesome.

QcGxb2y.jpg

CdHnszd.jpg

puZyB5t.jpg

KjuHN8K.jpg

I'm in bay area too, san jose. I'm in the fooked-by-PO club, as well - it's a pretty busy place I gather, but I enjoy a challenge - hang in there!

Welcome and congrats. I think there's still a monthly meeting in the Bay Area for Buick guys. Check the local forum.

Yup, Still meeting up first Tuesday of the month for pizza and beer at Round Table in Milpitas. Small turnout lately, but the ones that show up know a few things about these cars.

What part of SJ Ravege?

What part of the bay area Calia22?

This is the other Mark, we met once or twice. Haven't been to a meeting in ages - work, travel, family and non-op car have kept me from attending more. One of these days...

Hey Mark! Did not know that was you. Try to get to a meeting sometime. Or the BBQ patio for beers most Friday nights after 6 (y)

Pm me with what is up with your car. It's good to see another one around the area sometimes!

Casey,
Welcome aboard and greetings from So Cal.:)
Get with the locals in your area to help you get things sorted out. Let us know if you have any questions.

Happy Spooling...

Mike Barnard

Yup, Still meeting up first Tuesday of the month for pizza and beer at Round Table in Milpitas. Small turnout lately, but the ones that show up know a few things about these cars.

What part of SJ Ravege?

What part of the bay area Calia22?
Well shoot i'll be sure to take a trip out for the meets. I'm always hungry for more knowledge from the people that have been doing turbo Buicks for a while.

I'm out in Pacifica. nice little quiet part of the peninsula.

So I an still undecided on weather to take my motor to Dominic at Mizzis in the north bay, or to Ditos m0tors in South San Francisco. I have heard both good things from each shop, but apparently Mizzis is the place to be for anyone serious. The cost of a rebuild from each has about a $1,500 difference when i was quoted. Looking for a little insight if anyone has had work done from Dom or not.

Not familiar with Ditos motors. I have done business with Dominic and all went well. I know he has built motors for local guys.

Not familiar with Ditos motors. I have done business with Dominic and all went well. I know he has built motors for local guys.
Ditos is pretty nice, just kind of small. Its ran by two brothers. I brought my car in one day thinking the turbo went to hell for not building boost. in 30 minutes they found out i just had a plugged catalytic converter. There was about four or five TR's on their lot so they must be doing something right haha.

With that said though, I've talked to Dom before and he said that he hasnt had a built motor fail on him, except for the 600+ HP guys blowing head gaskets. Really curious to see what he can do to mine.