87 motor rebuild

87TIGN

Death by boost
Ok so I am rebuilding my 87 GN motor and I read these forums daily for as much info as I can soak up. This will be my first "real" engine build but have done DIY mechanics for years and love it. I really want to put this motor together but the more I read about little tolerances and studs not working and what not I am freaking out. I am pretty sure I can do this but how realistic is it. I am doing a mostly stock rebuild on it. Hoping to do ARP studs, Double Roller timing chain (good?), new high volume oil pump front cover, JE pistons, celvite bearings, porting stock heads, deep sump oil pan, HD water pump, power plate, roller cam kit with stock rockers, and rocker shaft. I have my motor at a machine shop who has done a GN or two so he knows the GN clearnaces and how to machine the block properly so that is a plus. What am I getting in to? Like I said i would really like to do this myself for the experience but how realistic is it? Thanks
-Andrew

It's kinda like building (or should I say assembling) any other motor. You're responsible for the final product. If you get the crank and rods in and you realize one rod bearing has too much clearance you have to decide whether it gets taken it apart and fixed or if it gets run. Building engines can be VERY frustrating. Of course, it can also be VERY VERY rewarding. When you hear an engine fire that you built it's awesome. Also, you get to take the credit when it performs.

That stuff aside it is doable. You may need to get some specialty tools. (good torque wrench, mics, ect.) but most can be borrowed. Also, cleanliness is important. Just figure out what you want, (end goal) get the advice of some people who have built many of these engines, (they're here and very willing to help) and DON'T GET IN A HURRY! I guess the bottom line is it's probably pretty doable.

Disclaimer: If by DIY mechanics you mean changing an alternator or water pump then it might be out of your range. :eek:

Good luck! james

+1 to the above.

Make sure the machine shop has a good working knowledge of the clearances on the 3.8- it ain't a small block chevy!

Take your time, ask questions, measure and don't guess.

Best feeling in the world YEAH!!!!:D

Thanks guys! Yea I have definitly done more than just alternators and water pumps. I know alot about enignes and clearances and I have done many hard projects so I think I will be ok but I am just a little nervous about it!
-Andrew