87 Grand National posi question

jimmarla

I have a 87 GN with 61k original miles. The car is original , did all GNs have the limited slip posi rear? I had this car out a couple of months ago, I need to drive it more, I got on it pretty hard and it was 1 legged!!!! It roasted the right rear tire! I would assume that they all had a posi! I also heard that there may be a "clutch pac" , or something like that in the rear that could be bad! All help is greatly appreceiated!!!!! BTW, this is a different car that I had posted a couple of days ago! Thanks a bunch

Look at the SPID (Option Decal) in the trunk of your car. If it had code G80, then you have limited slip. If it doesn't, then it's a peg leg.

Check to see if G80 is on the trunk option label. Not all GN's have Limited Slip. It was an option just like any other.

Posi was not standard - Your trunk rpo code sticker will have a G80 if the car was optioned with a posi.

you want to see g80. I think the non posi was g87. If its a g80 you need new clutches

you want to see g80. I think the non posi was g87. If its a g80 you need new clutches
This is incorrect. The G87 code indicates an 8.5" ring gear 10 bolt rear end. There is no option code to indicate a non-posi rear. If it really is a non-posi rear, then code G80 won't be on the label.

if it has aluminum drum rear brakes it it non posi

unless the drums got replaced sometime in the last 25 years with iron drums.. the SPID decal is really the only way to tell how the car was built- and even that assumes that the trunk lid hasn't been replaced. by this time, it might not even have an 8.5 in it any more, so the only way to know what you've got is to take a look.