'87 Grand National 28k miles $21,000 ****SOLD****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say it's because of the time of year. I listed my clean 70 GS 455 back in November. Nothing but dreamers and tire kickers. I'm gonna post it again in late march when the market picks back up.
Stick to your price. It'll sell. Beautiful car.

Hot more info on that 70 GS?

Just want to let everyone know that looked at this car. It was a very nice car and in great shape but the seller was a total POS. Tranny blew after I got it home for a known torque convertor problem after literally 10 miles. He washed his hands of it. Worst part is, the guy is a Cleveland Cop... From one of the biggest supporters of the police and military....very not cool for this guy. Goes to show you, not all who don the badge are as stand up as the rights they swore to protect. Great job on you!

It's OK, court paper work filed and hopefully he'll get his in the end. Wishing you nothing but happiness bud, that you ripped off a fellow Buick guy!

So is had a bad converter and didn't tell you? Bad form. Did it take out the transmission?

So is had a bad converter and didn't tell you? Bad form. Did it take out the transmission?
Yes after driving it for 5 mikes when I brought it home I told him the tc was shuddering. "Hmm. Never happened before". Next day. It blows and takes out tranny. Wipes his hands of it and says, only happened once. Thought it was a fluke. Real stand up guy. Glad he bought a mustang and is out of the Buick community. Before it blew he agreed to meet me half way if it was a bad trans. Once I called him and told him what happened he refused to respond to voicemail or texts. iPhones have a funny thing called read receipts. He read them all never responded. Class act this Cleveland cop is.

Damn. Is this thread for real??? I hate to hear that. If he agreed to meet you half way on a trans and then disappeared as you say, that's a serious P.O.S. move for sure. :(

I drove the car before you bought it as I posted earlier in the thread. I like to think I have a pretty good butt-o-meter and didn't feel anything fishy in the driveline. To be fair, It was a cold day and with the conditions I didn't want to stick it in a ditch so I didn't romp on it hard and only drove it a very short distance.

You said it was a "known torque convertor problem". What has led you to believe that he knew it was an issue. I can say with 100% certainty that nothing at all was said about any TC problems when I was trying to deal with him.

Wow, sorry to hear this. I was seriously considering this car, talked privately with him a few times, but he was stuck on his price, I even said for him to keep all his parts to try to get the price down just a little and he said no, so I passed, glad I did.

I am not going to get into this drama on here with the name calling and whatnot.

Buyer bought the car without driving or inspection on a snowy day. He contacted me a few days later saying that it had a problem with the transmission as he pulled to a stop sign when he drove it at 5 degrees outside. At that point I asked if he wanted his money back and he said "no". Nothing was brought up about the logistics involved. I figured I'd just have it shipped home. Regardless he refused my full refund offer a second time when I said "are you sure?" No questions asked for the refund.......I have no idea what was done to the car in the interim (I am not implying anything). At this point I felt as though I was being quite fair but I am not a dealer and didn't offer a warranty for repairs. It is a 30 year old car that has been to the dragstrip and by the mods it can be assumed that it wasn't only driven in school zones, Buying the car back would have given me the opportunity to have the trans gone through and use that as a selling point and I could have adjusted my price a bit to offset the cost and sat on the car a bit if need be.

The buyer contacted me when the tranny went and asked me to pay part of the rebuild cost. I explained that I wasn't too comfortable with that since I already sank my disposable cash elsewhere once he refused my "purchase back offer". He asked again a few times and I don't know how much clearer I could have been so I was getting less eager to respond. I felt he was trying to "alpha male" me into sending him money for the "repairs" so I was getting less interested in responding in a timely fashion. I am not big on confrontations and knew one was on the horizon. Then the "I'll take you to court" text arrives so I advised that it was his right and I saw no further point in continuing the discussion. Then the "disgrace to the badge" nonsense texts started.

That is an unfortunate situation......no doubt. The fact that I offered to buy the car back was conveniently left out of the posts meant to besmirch me. I am sorry that the buyer is not happy and feels that I wronged him.........I believe that once I offered to refund the purchase that my responsibility as a seller was complete.

Post edited......
Due to, again, the threat of court proceedings I am not looking to get in a pissing match about this here but I wanted to at least offer some details that were omitted.

As far as prior knowledge of any issues. A gentleman drove the car a few weeks (or so) before the sale fresh out several months of winter storage, it acted a bit sluggish and I found, after the fact, that the t/c lock switch was "on". I figured the guy just hit it while looking the car over. I checked the TV cable as well and took the car for a long spin. It ran as good as it always did. A second interested fella drove the car after that. I encouraged him to run it hard since I'd rather have it break on me and I like for the buyer to be sure the car is as advertised. Zero issues and the car ran great. That's it.

Last edited:
Ah, the second side to the story. Thanks for explaining your position.

There are 3 sides to every argument for sure. It sucks that this has gotten to the point that it has.

A second interested fella drove the car after that. I encouraged him to run it hard since I'd rather have it break on me and I like for the buyer to be sure the car is as advertised. Zero issues and the car ran great. That's it.

I am ASSuming that this was me. Not that it really matters at this point, but as I stated above, I did not feel anything fishy when I drove the car. I wouldn't really say that I ran it HARD as I am not the type to beat on a car until my name is on the title but I did go a few small bursts that should have made it pretty clear if there was a major trans/TC issue at that time. I will second the statement that I was encouraged to run it hard. I did not at all get the feeling that something was being hidden. Quite the opposite actually.

There are 3 sides to every argument for sure. It sucks that this has gotten to the point that it has.

I am ASSuming that this was me. Not that it really matters at this point, but as I stated above, I did not feel anything fishy when I drove the car. I wouldn't really say that I ran it HARD as I am not the type to beat on a car until my name is on the title but I did go a few small bursts that should have made it pretty clear if there was a major trans/TC issue at that time. I will second the statement that I was encouraged to run it hard. I did not at all get the feeling that something was being hidden. Quite the opposite actually.
Yes it was. I just didn't want to involve anyone else in this. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it and good luck on your continuing Buick hunt!

This car is now on eBay with 2,000 less miles on it than when I sold it, returned to stock-ish and described as "untouched and unmolested" (you can see all of the mods it had in my signature). Just an FYI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Buick-...ash=item212ff39c88:g:EwIAAOSwXfpZ4Ske&vxp=mtr

I verified the VIN (1G4GJ1170HP449657) as the car I sold in this ad. I cancelled Photobucket a while back but can provide pics to anyone for verification.

Last edited:
This car is now on eBay with 2,000 less miles on it then when I sold it, returned to stock-ish and described as "untouched and unmolested". Just an FYI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Buick-...ash=item212ff39c88:g:EwIAAOSwXfpZ4Ske&vxp=mtr

I verified the VIN as the car I sold in this ad. I cancelled Photobucket a while back but can provide pics to anyone for verification.

That is very strange, what a way to try to flip a car. 2k miles less than when they purchase it from you, plus no photos of the engine compartment????. Thanks for the heads up.

If you look at the big picture . The buyer bought the car sold off all the aftermarket parts and return the car back to stock with the intention of flipping it. He is now selling a misrepresented vehicle on ebay!!
I think anyone on here who has followed this thread knows who lacks integrity at this point. Of course this is just an opinion of someone without all the facts!!

Yeah, "99% original" and "untouched and unmolested" crosses the line given the history, especially considering a rebuilt/replaced trans...I guess you've all seen the other flipper in NJ still trying to unload, for what a year now, the one he got off here...guess these cars attract that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.